Notices

Does anybody know if someone is working on porting the VNC viewer to the 2006 OS?

The lack of this software is now what is stopping me from upgrading.

Are there any alternatives?

Jon

Originally Posted by JonFowler
Does anybody know if someone is working on porting the VNC viewer to the 2006 OS?

The lack of this software is now what is stopping me from upgrading.

Are there any alternatives?

Jon
I sent email to the person who compiled the original version [in the software section on this site], but got no reply. Maybe you can add your voice by sending email also?

Nokia themselves should really get their butts in gear and produce a VPN solution for this one. Heck, I'd settle for PPTP at this point, but a real IPSec VPN client would be great.

The problem with VPN stuff is you usually need to mess with the kernel. Nokia should pre-mess it.

VNC -- not VPN.

Yeah, I miss vnc, rdesktop is just not working right.

I second that, I prefer rdesktop over vnc but having vpn would make the window server and desktop integration seamless. It'll also make the N770 much more mainstream; you need to be pretty damn good technically to mess around with the device now.

I dunno where my eyes were when I wrote that post about VPN, not VNC. I must have been thinking about VPN:s when I read that and wanted to chime in. Ah well.

I agree about VNC too, though. That is yet another reason I can't upgrade, but the absolute deal breaker for me is that I can't get Privoxy in the machine if I go to the 2006 OS, and surfing without Privoxy is like dental surgery without anaesthetic...

Hi all,

First off, I didn't simply "compile" VNC for Maemo--I had to port it, which was a considerable effort. There was a straight compilation of VNC in the early days of the device from someone else, but it didn't support the virtual keyboard, and as such, was practically useless.

I haven't had a chance to install the 2006 OS, let alone setup the maemo 2.0 development environment, so it might be a little while before I get to this. Things have been very busy at work, plus I'm getting married soon, so I don't have much time. I'm planning to get to this at some point, but I cannot say when at the moment. I also developed some new enhancements to the maemo VNC viewer a few months ago, and you will see these in the next version.

Regards,
Aaron

Aron, do you like to release the source in the wild then? Or to an trusted 770 companion ? Im not ready to port something yet, but maybe some volonteer?

Thank so far

Note that if you used any code from the official VNC client, then you are obliged to release the source code under the GPL.