Is there any difference between executing
Code:
shutdown -h now
as opposed to using the power button? I'm seeing some strange battery life where I shutdown with the command with 5 hours of battery life (in use) left then startup 5 hours later to only have 1 hour left. Wondering if it's not completely shutting down or if I have some other issue.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
poweroff seems to turn off the IT right away but not shutdown -h now. The latter seems to go back to the bootmenu. I don't know why it does that.

I don't think you have any issue just the battery doesn't hold up charge.

Try poweroff to see if any difference?

That seems like a drastic drop. I think I read somewhere that turning on the tablet takes a lot of juice and that it is better to just leave it on rather than switching on and off.

If I'm not mistaken, it is only because the boot sequence is power consuming. If you wait a couple minutes and check again the time left on your tablet, it will go back to near 5 hours, maybe 4, depending of how much time it was turned off and at what point exactly it was in its power content.

I usually check the number of days left if inactive to know at about what percentage my tablet's battery is at. I found out that after a charge (100%), it is around 10 days. From my testings, it seems that 8 days left is around 80% left and so on. I would like to know if a percentage-showing battery indicator exists so I can check if I'm right.

Anyway, is there a reason for you to shut down your tablet? From what I've seen here and on my tablet, keeping it on (and "locked") is the best way to go as it consumes about no power on that state, even with wifi on. I can let it sit in my pocket all day long at school and I've got no problem power-wise as I never ran out of juice.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamuelDr For This Useful Post:
I've been noticing it around the time I added the command to personal menu. Nice easy way to shutdown without finding the button then confirming. Also have a few off the *home applets which I hear have been linked to poor battery life. Just trying to nail one down at a time.

Mike

For those that haven't seen it before there is a console app that can read the battery status as a percentage. See here.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
If you want to reboot from the console using exactly the method as the power button:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...17&postcount=3

(Granted, that command line is a bit on the long side but you could shorten it down with an alias or the like)

EDIT: Oops, that's for rebooting, here, this will shutdown:
run-standalone.sh dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest="com.nokia.mce" --print-reply "/com/nokia/mce/request" com.nokia.mce.request.req_shutdown

Take that command line and look at http://repository.maemo.org/pool/dia...v_1.6.3.tar.gz if you want to do something else.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-08-27 at 07:03.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Hastings, MN
Originally Posted by mikebell View Post
I've been noticing it around the time I added the command to personal menu. Nice easy way to shutdown without finding the button then confirming. Also have a few off the *home applets which I hear have been linked to poor battery life. Just trying to nail one down at a time.

Mike
Why confirm? If you continue to hold the power button, it will just cycle off.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hoot69 For This Useful Post:
For turning it off, I just got in the habit but maybe I'll just keep it on all the time considering other posts I've read about bettery life.

Thanks to you all for the tips.

Mike