Active Topics

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10026808-58.html

Anybody has experience with this?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Nah... not enough features for me.

One of the office supply companies just had an ad here in the US for an advanced HP printer that supported wifi, lan and bluetooth printing-- refurb for $150. It's similar to what I use, the HP 6180, which I got for just over $100 with a rebate. THAT is more my style. The bluetooth printing has really come in handy for me, more so than wifi.

lexmark cartridges are expensive because they put the print head on the cartridge.... which seems really pointless considering i've never had any problems with canons which have dirt cheap ink because they reuse the print head.....

you can tell that they are making their profit on the cartridges right? the fact that to buy a whole new printer when the ink runs out would only set you back an additional 97 cents over buying the cartridges alone should alert you to this fact.....

Good point, 'float. Might as well buy a new printer every time you need new ink, and sell the old one...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Hey Texrat, that's actually not a bad idea

Actually.. it's not LOL.. But sssshhhh don't tell the public.. we need people to BUY the old printer to make it worth it (and save money)!
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i went to the higher end of the spectrum because i wanted a reliable, network-able All-in-One printer with linux support. The HP OfficeJet 7410 is what i came up with.

Though it was on the pricey side, it has 10/100 ethernet, 802.11 b/g wifi, bluetooth/PictBridge support through optional device, does pictures, the whole nine. The HPLIP project even supports all functionality and that was the biggest reason i went with it.

The cartridges are fairly priced, but to get the print-per-dollar costs lower i would have had to go with a laser, and if i wanted a color all-in-one the price doubled for the hardware and a complete fill on all 4 toner cartridges went for over $350. I realized that I wasnt printing books, and had nowhere near a 30,000 page per month volume so it really wasnt necessary to get the laser.

all in all, i am very pleased with print quality, performance, features and support for the device.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

The Following User Says Thank You to brendan For This Useful Post:
Better yet: negotiate a wholesale price for a dozen or two and stack them up in your basement. Use them one by one and sell the old ones on ebay.

as much as that'd be cool, i think a big bonfire of these printers would send a nice message to lexmark to stop using such underhanded sales tactics.... Their printers are usually low-end all-in-ones that are designed to sucker in grandmothers and non-tech saavy people looking for a bargain, who then find that the ink costs as much as the printer.... jerks.....

The Following User Says Thank You to overfloat For This Useful Post:
I'm with Brendan. I have a different HP (C6180) but the thing flat out rocks. Every feature I need and then some.

I've had the best luck with HP and Epson (I have an HP 1120C that's been running solid for about 12 years). Worst luck with Brother. Never again.