Active Topics

Notices

Hello, All!

I have just released new, faster versions of VGBA and Speccy. These new releases draw to frame buffer directly when in full screen mode. Also, they use hardware image scaling whenever possible.

Both programs are available from Extras or from

http://fms.komkon.org/VGBA
http://fms.komkon.org/Speccy

Give them a try.

PS: If you like the programs rate them at http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Nice, thanks. Tried it (N810, chinook) and when I press power button in fullscreen the system menu is very big. Well at least it doesn't crash hard or mess up screen. Are you using Xsp for setting pixeldoubling mode? Using framebuffer ioctls may prevent this. Both ways are non-portable so it doesn't matter much.

BTW is there some Maemo specific documentation for keybindings? Is there some way to open configuration menu when in fullscreen?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Guess that this is something related to the scaling when in FS mode. It does the same on my N800 when using mplayer

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Nurnberg
i have 650mb of games for ZX-Spectrum (almost ALL games), but i don't know how to play them at my n800. %/

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Nice, thanks. Tried it (N810, chinook) and when I press power button in fullscreen the system menu is very big.
Well, hw scaling config appears to be a global setting. When it is in effect, every blit (including system dialogs) will operate with the same scaling value. This is why I am only using it in full screen mode.

Are you using Xsp for setting pixeldoubling mode? Using framebuffer ioctls may prevent this.
I am using ioctl()s.

BTW is there some Maemo specific documentation for keybindings?
Pretty much same keybindings as everywhere else, except that Fx buttons will not work because Maemo uses GTK_Fx codes for its hw buttons. If you would like help on how to use the touchscreen, select "Show Input Cues" from the menu.

Is there some way to open configuration menu when in fullscreen?
Not at the moment. Go to windowed mode, configure, then go back to full screen mode.

PS: There was an idea to use ESC key for fast-forwarding and assign config menu invocation to the MENU key. Unfortunately, ESC has some other functions and shifting them to a different key is not easy.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
Well, hw scaling config appears to be a global setting. When it is in effect, every blit (including system dialogs) will operate with the same scaling value. This is why I am only using it in full screen mode.
Oh, really? That's pretty strange, there should be no reason for such behaviour. There is reason for it using Xsp and X (due to many layers and asynchronous behaviour of X) but with direct update ioctl the window coordinates and scaling should be specific per each update. There should be no state stored in kernel between updates, everything comes in omapfb_update_window structure when ioctl is called including color mode. Looks like kernel bug or some side effect. I'll check it out. That would be pretty unfortunate.

Mplayer handles it fine both in fullscreen and windowed mode, though. It does direct access also in windowed mode and bringing up power key menu or any other menu (statusbar,..) works fine except messing up window of mplayer (which is to be expected).

Originally Posted by fms View Post
Pretty much same keybindings as everywhere else.
Ah, I see. Having custom keybindings would be nice. It is hard to press TAB or ALT or most Fx keys :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-09-26 at 10:58.

Looks like kernel bug or some side effect.
It could behave like this if one is still calling update ioctl's even if window lost focus. Then such code could change the scaling of data already written to framebuffer by X.

Oh, really? That's pretty strange, there should be no reason for such behaviour. ... There should be no state stored in kernel between updates, everything comes in omapfb_update_window structure when ioctl is called including color mode. Looks like kernel bug or some side effect. I'll check it out. That would be pretty unfortunate.
It looks to me like this setting is stored somewhere in OMAP hw registers rather than in the kernel. It is possible that when the driver receives an omapfb_update_window structure that does not specify scaling, it does not try to reset previously set scaling settings. Then it is a bug in the driver.

I am going to release EMULib sources sometime in the near future, so you will have a chance to check if I am doing anything unkosher.

Having custom keybindings would be nice. It is hard to press TAB or ALT or most Fx keys :-)
Custom keybindings are pretty low on my todo list, below implementing a tiny on-screen keyboard. N810 has got enough keys and EMULib already maps them in a way that lets you choose from several physical arrangements.

The only two real problems are the lack of real Fx keys and numeric keys in Maemo. For numeric keys, you can always connect a BT keyboard. But with Fx keys the BT keyboard will not help: even their bindings are taken over by other keys. I would file a bug for this at bugs.maemo.org but surely, somebody from Nokia will immediately tell that this is not a bug, I am an idiot, and whatever my opinion is they are not changing the bindings.

Last edited by fms; 2008-09-27 at 18:36.

It could behave like this if one is still calling update ioctl's even if window lost focus. Then such code could change the scaling of data already written to framebuffer by X.
Well, I make my code sleep when it loses focus. Of course, there may be a situation where I have not got to processing the FocusOut message yet. Remember that I am not running in a traditional GTK event loop, processing UI messages as I need them.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I updated to the new version. Its faster, and better, and faster. This is great! But sometimes the color seems washed out, only when using the frame buffer though (aka fullscreen). Example: Advanced Wars. Not a big deal, because it is now running at full speed, and its NICE!