Active Topics

I've had the 770 for a few days now. Getting connected with a WLAN was not a problem, however getting connected with BT has been trying to say the least. For the life of me I cannot figure out what's going on. I've read many threads re: getting connected with Sprint phones and tried everything to no avail. I think I'm missing something as some of thethreads mention selecting cellular CDMA as an option - I do not have such an option. Any help will be greatly appreaciated as the #1 reason I purchased is because of the connection through BT. Also to make sure I'm on the same page as other Sprint users, I have a unlimitted data plan. This is all I need to use the 770 correct and not the ability to use the Treo as a modem which is another $40/month. Thanks for any help.

Originally Posted by mcmillan
Also to make sure I'm on the same page as other Sprint users, I have a unlimitted data plan. This is all I need to use the 770 correct and not the ability to use the Treo as a modem which is another $40/month.
The new EVDO Power Vision service is a bit different than the old 1XRTT Vision service, so your suspicion may be correct, but I'm able to use my 650 as a Bluetooth modem for my 770 with only the unlimited data plan.

Have you upgraded to the official release of the 2006 OS? It definitely has preset options for Sprinr service, which even the 2006 beta didn't include.

I'm really interested to hear how this works out for you as I've been looking for a compelling reason to upgrade.

Stickarm - I upgraded on thursday with no problem. The only reason I bought the 700 versus the 650 was I thought using the 700 with the EVDO network would make using the 770 even better.

Am I supposed to put anything in the username/password field on the "Mobilephone setup wizard" screens? I originally had nothing and read several threads that said put the sprint user name in which I did (with the password -blank-). Still no luck.

I forgot to mention that I did select "Sprint" from the option list.

The only reason I bought the 700 versus the 650 was I thought using the 700 with the EVDO network would make using the 770 even better.

Am I supposed to put anything in the username/password field on the "Mobilephone setup wizard" screens? I originally had nothing and read several threads that said put the sprint user name in which I did (with the password -blank-).
I have two entries for my 650 listed under "Connections" on my 770 -- one that I created myself while using the 2006 OS beta and one created using the built-in settings for Sprint.

The old one, the one I created, is set to "data call," has a username (no "@sprintpcs.com") and no password. The new one is set to "packet data," has <PCS Vision Login> as the password (literally) and seems to have an entry for a password (it's all asterisks) even though I never entered one myself.

Both of these sets of settings work for me (although while I was double checking this stuff just now the old one caused the 770 to reset twice ...hm). Again, though, this is all with a 650 and the old Vision service, so it might not apply to your situation.

I think you bought that Treo 700 ith exactly the right idea -- Power Vision and a Nokia 770 should rock one's pants off. I hope you get it working, but I'd still like to hear how it goes either way.

Something else that 700 might be good at could be running SNES emulation. I'm sort of curious about that, too, and if you're interested in giving it a try I could probably be more helpful on that subject.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stickarm For This Useful Post:
Packet Data
Dial Up #777
Username: myusernamehere@modem.sprintpcs.com
password: call tech support get your pass... they can't give it, and NO one knows it, they will have to reset... so you'll choose it at that time. 30 mins later, it will be active.

None of that can work at all, though, until you pair your device first via Bluetooth.

Select CONTROL PANEL > 'PHONE'
Select New. It will search for phone... make sure Treo is in DISCOVERABLE mode... (ie, Bluetooth set to 'Let Others See This Phone).... it will find your phone and automatically set it to CDMA for you. It could give a popup if your phone can do both, but just select CDMA.
The 770 will nowpopup window with passcode. Memorize and hit okay. Your phone will ask to accept unknown user, say ok on phone and dial passcode.

From then on, you will only need to select a passcode when you are logging in to the internet on a PHONE that has been turned off/back on.... The 770 turning on/off makes no difference.

Congratulations! You have, in my humble opinion, the BEST data carrier and plan... very well thought out. ALSO: Don't stress their warnings not to download too much on their 'unlimited' data plan..., heh ... I've d/l 'd 5-10 Gigs per month w/o even a whisper from them.

Last edited by Ceklund; 2006-07-10 at 02:49.

[I]Username: myusernamehere@modem.sprintpcs.com
password: call tech support get your pass... they can't give it, and NO one knows it, they will have to reset... so you'll choose it at that time. 30 mins later, it will be active.
[I]

Just so I'm clear, I'm asking Sprint Tech for my Dial Up Networking password to be reset? Should I tell them I'm trying to access the internet through another device as well?

Yes, your Dial Up Networking password ... your account for the data phone needs a username and pw to be able to access the internet through the phone via a seperate device (PDA or laptop or home PC, each wth Bluetooth, all work)

Good luck!

Update - Sprint told me to beat it (figuratively). They have a Dial up networking plan and said I would need that plan to get the info. No problem though because I hate the Treo 700 and will be taking it back tomorrow. I'll be getting a BB 8700 from T-Mobile. Thanks for all the help though.

No problem though because I hate the Treo 700 and will be taking it back tomorrow
Bummer. Good luck with your new gear and service, though. Continuing updates will still be appreciated, too.