Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
Actually I would be getting the Nokia N810 in less than 6 hours time . although i have been running ubuntu linux as my primary OS for more than a year. This would be my first experience with the Internet Tablet and i would appreciate if you guys (and girls) can give me tips on some the best and stable 3rd party application to install. and also some few beta must have applications. here are some of the things i look forward to be able to do on the IT
Blog,Twit,Word processing,ssh,media,podcast,chat,IRC, etc
while i would prefer a smooth install i am however not afraid to get my hands dirty hacking,cli stuff and hunting down dependencies if the situation warrants. look forward to hearing from you guys. look forward to becoming an active participant in this community. Thanks

Last edited by bigbrovar; 2008-10-17 at 03:24.

Blog - Maemo WordPy / Mauku
Twitter - Mitter
Word Processing - AbiWord (still beta), or the entirety of the OpenOffice suite through Easy Debian.
SSH - OpenSSH, and there's a Qwerty12-ported copy of Putty running around somewhere.
Media - Canola
Podcast - gPodder / Canola
Chat - Pidgin
IRC - XChat

Have a search though, all of this information is already available around this forum.
Plus have a look on downloads.maemo.org

Might also be a good idea to get your hands a bit dirty with a reflash (I'm guessing the firmware is going to be a little behind).

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bay area, CA // Kampala, Uganda
I just got an N810 too! Very exciting. Though I've had an N800 for several months, so I'm not new to the platform.

Most of what you'll need to do the stuff you want to is available from the Maemo extras repo -- I'd recommend digging there first before looking elsewhere.

I agree with the above list, though I much prefer the built in app for chat (given the well-integrated presence system) over any alternative (such as Pidgin). There are a couple of plugins available (from another repo, contradicting myself -- the Collabora Haze repository) that give the built in app access to chat protocols (MSN, AIM, Yahoo) that it lacks out of the box.

For a list of repositories, see gronmayer.com/it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phutterman For This Useful Post:
the nokia was delivered some 30 min ago its the finest thing i have ever seen

Last edited by bigbrovar; 2008-10-17 at 09:51.

I cant get internet to work .. am behind a proxy and i tried searching but there seem to be no where i set my proxy settings. how can i configure this device to use proxy?

ok i figured it out .. i have now been able to set the proxy

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
I cant get internet to work .. am behind a proxy and i tried searching but there seem to be no where i set my proxy settings. how can i configure this device to use proxy?
Control panel > Connectivity > Connections > select ur connection > next > next >next > advanced > use proxy

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
yeah thanks finally figured it out .. is there a way to right click and copy and paste on this device

Right click: Hold the stylus down for a couple of seconds.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
copy & paste:
select text with stylus (double-tap to do this in the browser) and either select "edit->copy" from the application menu (if available), or pull out the keyboard and use Ctrl+X for cut, Ctrl+C for copy, and Ctrl+V for paste.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: