Active Topics

In order to avoid repeating the same arguments in threads about inevitable NIT marketing failure, I have created a Wiki page:

http://wiki.maemo.org/TabletDeath

As you see, this page contains all standard arguments for NIT business failure, with standard comments on each argument. From now on, when you see yet another newbie poster bitсhing about how NITs are going to fail, do not argue. Send him/her to the above URL instead.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
And besides that, if / when Nokia does drop the tablets, we can always install Android on them

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
From reading that Wiki, i'd say that there is a 60% chance that the tablet will live and a 40% chance it will die or transform into something else.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Even if Nokia ceased to manufacture the IT it would continue on with the open source community continuing to enhance the software. A product dies when support and the promise of enhancement ends. Ultimately IT users will migrate to a newer more capable product as their needs exceed the platforms capability but there won't be a mad rush to th iPhone or other devices because the community will continue support for some time after manufacturing stops.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
From reading that Wiki, i'd say that there is a 60% chance that the tablet will live and a 40% chance it will die or transform into something else.
IIRC, there's a 0% chance that the Internet Tablets will live and a 100% chance that they will transform into something else. At least I think I've heard people say so since the Maemo Summit in Berlin.

"Being transformed into something else" in this case, though, probably means something like "growing stronger" rather than "die".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
2009 will be rough for EVERY device manufacturer, even Apple and RIM. I was also concerned about the tablets losing ground... until that fact sunk in for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
please just transform into something real - soon....
Software news might be sexy - but this product line really needs some updated hardware

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Centralizing discussions is good, but wiki is not good for discussion. Merge threads about same subject, and put result of discussions in wiki.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Can't we just remove thier user account, it seems more fun.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
oftware news might be sexy - but this product line really needs some updated hardware
Could this is the wrong way round?