Active Topics

Notices

Hi all,

First, I would like to thank gnuite and all the community for sharing such a cool program as Maemo Mapper It is really useful!

I have a couple of questions regarding MM,

1. The POI database is in sqlite3 format but the maps database (OpenStreet.db for example) is in GDBM. I really would like to have all of them in sqlite3 for easier access. Is there a way of doing this?

2. I would love to have a python, c, whatever equivalent of winmapper because downloading a huge bunch of maps hangs MM and I don't have Windows or a Windows emulator. I run Linux on PPC... I know I am a minority but it would be **really** useful to be able to compile custom map databases offline the tablet. Based off the C code in MM, could gnuite do a little C program that could run standalone from a command line? Nothing fancy, but something that people could use and/or script to download stuff from different repositories.

Thanks in advanced,

Cheers!

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
I second #2..... i just wish I had some programming skills

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
Originally Posted by jjmaestro View Post
...and I don't have Windows or a Windows emulator. I run Linux on PPC...
would wine help you out?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Well, I am not a really good programmer myself, but I think it might be relatively easy, it is just that I don't know the procedure to translate Lat-Long into the correct (x, y, zoom) to pass it to the OpenStreetMap URL I know I could look at the source and see how it is done but it would be slower than someone knowing this stuff and shedding some light, pointing people in the right direction

I am currently going to look into the source of WinMapper to see if I can abstract the core of the downloader (to me this would be the loop that goes through a certain Lat/Long square and downloads all the [x, y, zoom] tiles) because if we had such a core in a mapper_downloader.c for example, we could wrap it easily into other programs and interact with it in many different ways (the WinMapper way, the MM way --graphically--, whatever).

And with respect to #1... it would be really cool if someone could tell me why MM creates a gdbm by default, because by looking at the source code, it can work qith sqlite3 (it has a lot of sqlite3 code between #ifdefs...)

Cheers!

Well... wine, as far as I know, only works in x86 architectures and I run Linux in a Powerbook (ppc architecture) :-/ In any case, I will probably try and get an x86 at work and run Wine, but it is definitely a temporary solution, the good one would be having a "core downloader" (as I mentioned in my answer to scanman717) that we could compile in any architecture.

This way people could build a wrapper in any language and architecture, thus being able to have massive local repositories of tiles at home and easily (and quickly) being able to create .db files at one's will (and need )

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I think Bochs will work on a PPC host. This isn't an endorsement, I've never used Bochs & I run an Athlon, but it might be worth a try. hth
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
Yeah, it might, I will see if its worth making it run though because last I heard Bochs was pretty sloooow :-( If not, I will go the Wine avenue (I think I can make it run painlessly in my x86 at work )

But thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by jjmaestro View Post
Yeah, it might, I will see if its worth making it run though because last I heard Bochs was pretty sloooow :-( If not, I will go the Wine avenue (I think I can make it run painlessly in my x86 at work )

But thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,
No problem. I run Virtualbox under gentoo, but judging from some of their forum posts, there's no plans on making that available for PPC, otherwise I would have heartily recommended it. It's a great product.

havefun!
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo mapper, map database, maps