Active Topics

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Solingen; Germany
Hi @ all,

I really would like to know from you whether it is possible to make a german subforum...
I'm already taking with the users in the n800.de forum about making a new forum because the n800.de-Forum is even not up-to-date and the admin's last login was i think one year ago.

Thanks for your Attention!

Sincerely yours
Thomas Pietrowski
------------------------------------
Thread on n800.de:
German | English (by GoogleTranslate)

Last edited by thopiekar; 2008-12-07 at 10:37.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'm in favor of everything that moves the whole Maemo universe away from its current English-only status and adds some user-friendliness by making people able to at least read what we've got.

OTOH, there already is a German thread here, but it isn't too active at the moment. Maybe it's the old chicken-egg-problem. Maybe N800.de is still too popular. Maybe to attract people who don't speak english, you need a site that's completely in their respective languages, not only a sub-forum. I don't know.

The only thing I do know is that those fellow tablet-owners I know here in Austria don't have access to the most basic information (how to encode videos for the tablets, how to install software, how and why to update your OS) because they don't find it in German. It must be very frustrating to own a tablet and not know about all these basic things.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Yeah, when moving to talk.maemo.org there could be translations for the wiki and multilingual forums.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The only thing I do know is that those fellow tablet-owners I know here in Austria don't have access to the most basic information (how to encode videos for the tablets, how to install software, how and why to update your OS) because they don't find it in German. It must be very frustrating to own a tablet and not know about all these basic things.
That's what I wanted to improve! I don't know whether you have read the thread on n800.de or not, but all the users there see the same problems in the forum as you explained!

Originally Posted by benny1967
Maybe N800.de is still too popular.
I really don't think so. If you are lucky there are 2 or even 3 users online one hour on weekends!

As you can see in the n800.de'S thread I would really like to publish my Maemo-SDK-VMx.alternative called "UbuntuEntwicklerEdition" (UbuntuDevelopterEdition), which is mainly in german and which will be published with detailed howto'S.
The Fact is, that developting applications for the iT and even for your PC isn't "really" difficult!

So I can only see a problem in the knowledge of english-language or the users are scared to break thier iT, because they could get something false, so they want thier first language in forums/howtos and even SDK's!

greeeez

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Yeah, when moving to talk.maemo.org there could be translations for the wiki and multilingual forums.
I really hope so ;D It would solve the problem on the n800.de'S thread!

The Following User Says Thank You to thopiekar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
There has been one request by a Spanish user for a Spanish sub-forum too. I agree with the principle: users who prefer to speak their own language should have an easy way to find other users who prefer to speak their own language.

Lets learn how other platform deal with this issue.

The name n800 seems specific to N800.

Maybe one of the German resellers would be interested in creating a forum, it would be some kind of advertisement for their products.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
As I told the guys looking for a Russia section on the wiki, you'll need some basic level of commitment from people willing to clean it up when the spam hits.

If it's something you want to move forward with, start by putting together a proposal and we can move from there.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
As I told the guys looking for a Russia section on the wiki, you'll need some basic level of commitment from people willing to clean it up when the spam hits.
I would like to help out at the german subforum as a mod or something like that (removing spam, take care of netiquette and so on). But I´m working 8 hours a day at RL, too. So no forum fulltime-job...

Good idea btw.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
I'm happy to help on a German or French forum section (and even the English one ), I could probably even understand enough Spanish to recognise spam there too

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by thopiekar View Post
Hi @ all,

I really would like to know from you whether it is possible to make a german subforum...
same request for an italian subforum...

thanks