It would be great if we had a list of the best common solutions. Gainroot for example can be accomplished in so many different ways. Many of the URLs are already 404 but are still found near the top in Google.

I have a life to live and do not like getting hooked into hours of reading these forums in order to find the best answers to simple questions for one of my least used tools. If the OS were Linux then I could get excited because the knowledge learned would transfer into what we are or should be using everyday at home and in the office. Learning a lot of extra stuff just because some people think the Nxxx should only be used to connect to the Internet is not exciting to me.

You might consider putting Debian on your tablet if you're not happy with Maemo because it's too different. None of the differences you're seeing are kernel-level, however, so claiming it's not Linux (presumably on account of Nokia proprietary code) is not only incorrect, but also misleading.

The wikis (http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/ (deprecated) and http://wiki.maemo.org/ (preferred)) are the proper repository for such knowledge as you're asking, and the only example you gave is covered.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Benson,
Thanks for trying. You get E for effort. Unfortunately, your solution illustrates the problem.

When I go to your solution, I read "
To enable Extras repository, just open this link on your tablet.

Or you can enable it by hand:

* Go into the Application manager.
* Tap the menu -> Tools -> Application catalog...
* Double-tap maemo Extras.
* Uncheck Disabled. "

I thought great. There is a way to enable root in a standard way without having internet access. I click on the icon that has a Blue and 3 Green squares. These squares do not have AMgr written on them, they just happen to be the only thing there except web, 3 people, and home. I click on every icon and do not see anything labeled menu or Tools. Since I am have dealt with a lot of discrepancies in computers I tap "Application manager" instead of the non-existing menu. When I tap Tools -> Application catalog... ; I only get the message "Exit offline mode." So now I am back to not having a pocket linux computer, only an InternetTablet that will work after you have already done what you want to do one time on the sometimes existing Internet. When I clicked OK to Exit offline mode, I got Network Connection error message as if I had done something wrong. And there are "brilliant" people who get on this forum and say how great it is that we only have an InternetTablet instead of something that can also double as a linux pocket computer.

http://oouc.wordpress.com/ tells what a great device the InternetTablet is. In addition it tells what a great company Nokia is. But this may need a great revision. After I got my N800 InternetTablet I never could find the cheap GPS or folding keyboards that were discussed on this forum. Who has cleared the market of these devices and left me without access is a big question in my mind. But back to the main point of this post. Maemo could easily develop a little SD card with all of the information that is necessary to gainroot or anything else that requires going to old links on the Internet. Then I and many other people could have a pocket linux computer for all of the times we do not now have the ability to do what we want. I cannot develop such a card without a lot of help because I like to use a real keyboard. I also really like documentation that says click on "Applications manager" instead of menu if "Applications manager" is indeed the place where I must click and menu is just a word for hotshot Geek Experts who would rather use technobabble instead of reality. I deal with many thousands of people who have never known anyone who knows more about computers and documentation than I. So how can I keep on recommending the Nxxx InternetTablets to the great unwashed if the documentation does not mean what is literally there, if they can't use the Nxxx to do many common linux things except when they are lucky enough to be near a hotspot, and etc.?

Am I going to have to carry all .deb files on an SD card and hope that using the standard means to install them is going to work on the Nxxx? I want to do things more important than debugging Nokia sw. This is the reason I went back to *nix after 20 years in a M$ jail. The Nxxx is not worth it to me nor the great number of people I deal with in everyday life unless this issue is solved.

so you need internet connection to download software, surprise?

the standard way (apt, yum) to install sofrware in standard linux distributions (ubuntu, fedora) also needs internet connection

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
So how can I keep on recommending the Nxxx InternetTablets to the great unwashed if the documentation does not mean what is literally there, if they can't use the Nxxx to do many common linux things except when they are lucky enough to be near a hotspot, and etc.?
I doubt that you can...

You seem genuinely lazy and the thing about the "unwashed" masses is; we don't mind, or are afraid of, a little work.

Sounds like you would be happier with an iPhone or suttin'.

Edit: Considerable effort has been put into the WIKI that answers most of
the best common solutions
>>Here ya go <<

Check out the 6th or 7th hit...

Last edited by YoDude; 2008-12-23 at 01:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by oouc View Post
When I go to your solution, I read "
To enable Extras repository, just open this link on your tablet.

Or you can enable it by hand:

* Go into the Application manager.
* Tap the menu -> Tools -> Application catalog...
* Double-tap maemo Extras.
* Uncheck Disabled. "

I thought great. There is a way to enable root in a standard way without having internet access. I click on the icon that has a Blue and 3 Green squares. These squares do not have AMgr written on them, they just happen to be the only thing there except web, 3 people, and home. I click on every icon and do not see anything labeled menu or Tools. Since I am have dealt with a lot of discrepancies in computers I tap "Application manager" instead of the non-existing menu. When I tap Tools -> Application catalog... ; I only get the message "Exit offline mode."
You didn't know where Application Manager was and had to go hunting for it? Seriously RTFM.

I have a life to live and do not like getting hooked into hours of reading these forums in order to find the best answers to simple questions for one of my least used tools.
In most cases people here are helpful but they also have lives to live and don't want to get hooked into hours of helping people too lazy to do the most basic bit of research themselves.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fionn For This Useful Post:
I thought great. There is a way to enable root in a standard way without having internet access. I click on the icon that has a Blue and 3 Green squares. These squares do not have AMgr written on them, they just happen to be the only thing there except web, 3 people, and home. I click on every icon and do not see anything labeled menu or Tools. Since I am have dealt with a lot of discrepancies in computers I tap "Application manager" instead of the non-existing menu.
OK, now you completed step 1. You got into the Application manager, mentioned in step 1; the correlation is no accident. (Also, page 43 of the manual explains step 1 in detail, so if when instructions didn't seem to match reality, you had skimmed the TOC of the manual, you'd have quickly gotten straight.
Now you have to click either the titlebar, with its menu icon or the menu key; they're the ones with the funky little symbols purporting to represent a drop-down menu, and universally referred to around here as "menu", for want of a representative glyph in most fonts. That's what "menu" meant, and until you tap one of them, you don't even see "Tools"
When I tap Tools -> Application catalog... ; I only get the message "Exit offline mode." So now I am back to not having a pocket linux computer, only an InternetTablet that will work after you have already done what you want to do one time on the sometimes existing Internet.
Specifically, after you install software not present on the device, yes. I'm not sure how such software should mystically transport itself into your device without a network connection -- but then, the black arts were never my strong point.
When I clicked OK to Exit offline mode, I got Network Connection error message as if I had done something wrong. And there are "brilliant" people who get on this forum and say how great it is that we only have an InternetTablet instead of something that can also double as a linux pocket computer.
OK, there are some who like and praise that aspect, but I fail to see how its usability in that simple role, or their praise for that, impairs it from serving as a Linux handtop.

Almost all software, especially F/OSS, is distributed online these days; I honestly wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to install an OS on my desktop without using internet access, either for torrenting a slackware image, or ordering CDs. The need to establish an internet connection to acquire and install software the easy way doesn't seem at all unreasonable, and it's not like that's the only way to get root (see the rest of that page), or even to install packages, and thus to use the rootsh method.

http://oouc.wordpress.com/ tells what a great device the InternetTablet is. In addition it tells what a great company Nokia is. But this may need a great revision. After I got my N800 InternetTablet I never could find the cheap GPS or folding keyboards that were discussed on this forum. Who has cleared the market of these devices and left me without access is a big question in my mind.
You seem to be implying Nokia bought them all up? Or that they never existed and the claims were Nokia propaganda?
I think if you looked a bit harder, you could get that question off your mind.

An ebay search for igo bluetooth is finding some south of $50 right off, and you could check the buy/sell forum here; almost sure a guy who's trying to sell off ~10 still has some left. You could check Google shopping, too, for keyboards and for GPS.

But back to the main point of this post. Maemo could easily develop a little SD card with all of the information that is necessary to gainroot or anything else that requires going to old links on the Internet.
No, not "anything else". For example, finding what the Wikipedia article on London Assembly looked like at the end of 2004 requires going to an old link on the internet. Obviously, the line must be drawn somewhere, since there's more data online than what fits on an SD card. You could make a reasonable goal of having a cache of the extras repository possible, analogous to the set of packages available on a CD set of a typical PC distribution, but I'm not sure this would be of very great interest. The number of people who actually can't/won't obtain internet access once to populate their system with software is tiny.

Then I and many other people could have a pocket linux computer for all of the times we do not now have the ability to do what we want. I cannot develop such a card without a lot of help because I like to use a real keyboard.
Without first defining the purpose of "a Linux computer", nobody can develop such a card; I'm not sure what definition you're using, but perhaps most would disagree.

I also really like documentation that says click on "Applications manager" instead of menu if "Applications manager" is indeed the place where I must click and menu is just a word for hotshot Geek Experts who would rather use technobabble instead of reality.
Ya know what the word "wiki" means? It is not short for "complain to management, please", and you could try to fix it if you really think it's inaccurate.
I deal with many thousands of people who have never known anyone who knows more about computers and documentation than I. So how can I keep on recommending the Nxxx InternetTablets to the great unwashed if the documentation does not mean what is literally there, if they can't use the Nxxx to do many common linux things except when they are lucky enough to be near a hotspot, and etc.?
Let's see... you can't be bothered to search, can't be bothered to correlate the phrase "Application manager" between step 1 of the instructions and step 2 of your procedure, thus losing sync and confusing yourself, can't be bothered to fix a perceived simple substition error in the wiki, can't be bothered to delete the old text when editing a post title and refuse to make the distinction between use and setup use cases. Oh, but you're a bigshot who deals with thousands of people even less capable than yourself.Yes, I suppose these devices, and the community centered around them, is certain to fade into oblivion without your continued recommendation. Nokia might even go bankrupt due to the loss in sales. I can't begin to imagine why the board of directors isn't even now falling over themselves trying to apologize for this inconvenience to you, and ordering massive headrollage among management if this isn't fixed within a week.

Am I going to have to carry all .deb files on an SD card and hope that using the standard means to install them is going to work on the Nxxx? I want to do things more important than debugging Nokia sw. This is the reason I went back to *nix after 20 years in a M$ jail. The Nxxx is not worth it to me nor the great number of people I deal with in everyday life unless this issue is solved.
I'd guess that 90% of the poor folks you deal with don't use Linux, and that of the ones who do, 90% don't carry a DVD with all the packages for their distro around with them -- they install what they need (whether from an online repo, or from optical media), and then use the device. But yes, if you would download all the packages for your favorite distro, burn them on a disc, and carry them around with you everywhere (and hope your distribution's package tools work), then you should apply the same effort with the Internet Tablet.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Classic case of PEBKAC. There is only one person who is able to solve this particular problem: you.

A cheap & good BlueTooth GPS is easily found on eBay...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
It's interesting that all the posts like this seem to share a common thread: People who provide "support" for "thousands" (or even millions) of people, but are too lazy or incompetent to spend 5 minutes acquiring an answer for themselves (or who, after managing that, seem to do their absolute best at failing to follow the directions).

It makes me wonder if they're all just the same guy or what in the hell kind of people these "support" groups (whatever is its they provide "support" for) are filled with. . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
And there are "brilliant" people who get on this forum and say how great it is that we only have an InternetTablet instead of something that can also double as a linux pocket computer.
Number 1, how dare you slam the amazing people volunteering to help here, tacitly or otherwise, with your quotes around the word brilliant.

Number 2, what the hell are you talking about??? Who said what???

http://oouc.wordpress.com/ tells what a great device the InternetTablet is. In addition it tells what a great company Nokia is. But this may need a great revision. After I got my N800 InternetTablet I never could find the cheap GPS or folding keyboards that were discussed on this forum. Who has cleared the market of these devices and left me without access is a big question in my mind.
Are you actually insinuating that every single cheap GPS and folding keyboard was nabbed from the market, and no more were manufactured to replace them??? And that this was done to specifically spite you???

o.O

But back to the main point of this post. Maemo could easily develop a little SD card with all of the information that is necessary to gainroot or anything else that requires going to old links on the Internet. Then I and many other people could have a pocket linux computer for all of the times we do not now have the ability to do what we want.
I think you may be better off returning or selling your tablet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: