Poll: Do you install from extras-devel?
Poll Options
Do you install from extras-devel?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
"Extras" is the repository applications should be in. Developers should upload them for testing to "extras-devel" and then promote them to "extras" once they're considered stable (or at least good enough). Some applications, though, seem to be stuck in "extras-devel" forever. So the only way for end users to install them would be to add "extras-devel" to your list of repositories, which is maybe not what "extras-devel" was meant for, but still....

So what do you do? Do you use "extras-devel"? Or do you wait for applications to appear in "extras" in a distant future?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I use extras-devel. Probably because I like using the latest and greatest but as an extras uploader, all my stuff goes to extras-devel first so I wait and see until my applications show up there so I can test. Right now, I'm waiting for the X-Sys X-Chat plugin to show up so I can use it with the X-Chat 2.8.6 I built and sent to extras...

every now and then i enable it. but i don't feel safe installing applications that are not stable. i wish they were. some of them i'm looking forward to.

The Following User Says Thank You to stopgo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I voted that I leave extras-devel to the developers. As a user I don't use extras-devel. But as a developer I'm using extras-devel to test my own stuff. maemo-extras and the official Nokia repositories are usually the only repositories I use.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
maemo-extras and the official Nokia repositories are usually the only repositories I use.
'maemo.org Extras' or 'Extras'

I use extras-devel but it is a staging area and the only way to move an app into Extras proper. I tend to leave it enabled since I am often testing/updating programs.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yes, because my device currently doesn't run mission critical services, I don't mind some testing for now, and some things require it or run better with extras-devel enabled.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Interesting... more than 50% use devel. I hope this does not say anything about the average user out there in the wild...

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Genoa, Italy
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Interesting... more than 50% use devel. I hope this does not say anything about the average user out there in the wild...
It is likely that the most of the people not using extras-devel (like me) didn't answer because they don't feel urged to do it or because they are not aware of it.
I didn't answered before because I was thinking my opinion on this topic was not so relevant, if it was stressed this is a poll I were more encouraged to answer...