Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Cape Towb,South Africa
Good Day all, I recently got me a N810 which updated to Version 5.2008.43-7 and I loving it so far, I do have a few questions though...

1. I some transferred some mp3's from my phone (E51) which has album art embedded,I used Tag & Rename, to the N810, however none of the media players shows it.Not the default one, not Canola, Kagu went online and got low-rez images... The rez of the album art embedded is 200x200 onwards, so is that an issue? What is the best way to have my complete collection of music to show album art in all the media players?

2. I know you can move the diff apps into the various folders by the Panels option in Control Panel, but for some reason I am not able to move the extra apps that I installed. I initially selected them to be in installed in Extras, but am not able to move them now to say Utilities. So once you selelect the location where the app must be installed and you not able to move it elsewhere?

Thats all for now...

Btw this forum is truly useful, keep up the excellent work everyone...

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
2. This may be related to bug 3172, which is still an issue for me (n800 w/ latest OS 43-7)

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3172

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by hargs48 View Post
1. I some transferred some mp3's from my phone (E51) which has album art embedded,I used Tag & Rename, to the N810, however none of the media players shows it.Not the default one, not Canola, Kagu went online and got low-rez images... The rez of the album art embedded is 200x200 onwards, so is that an issue? What is the best way to have my complete collection of music to show album art in all the media players?
Unfortunately, there isn't a real standard way of encoding the album art into the songs. I'm not sure if T&R uses the same method as Apple does, but interpreting those strings is a bit fuzzy. The only reliable manner I've used is in shipping around a jpg/png of the album cover -- almost everything knows what to do with a "cover.jpg" in the album-name-directory. The upside to this is you don't have a copy of the cover in every song (just one for the album) - the downsize is maintaining another file in there ....

Originally Posted by hargs48 View Post
2. I know you can move the diff apps into the various folders by the Panels option in Control Panel, but for some reason I am not able to move the extra apps that I installed. I initially selected them to be in installed in Extras, but am not able to move them now to say Utilities. So once you selelect the location where the app must be installed and you not able to move it elsewhere?
I was just monkeying with this, too. It's frustrating, and not intuitive. You can create a new category and move things into that, but beware that once moved to the new category, you can't move it back. (Well, you can delete the application and re-install it). I'm not sure what the (broken) logic is here, but I believe those categories are "system" categories. Frankly, when I did add a new category, I found the menu became a pain (it needed scrolling down to the bottom, etc etc).

The above lead me to play with "Personal Menu" which is a much better approach. Try installing that (and then reboot - at least I needed to), then you can customize that to your commonly-used applications. It's a much better approach, overall.

The Following User Says Thank You to fattomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Cape Towb,South Africa
thanks for the useful feedback guys. I downloaded the addon file for Canola,and now have album art for my music. Also the UI of Canola is fab,it will give the iPhone/iPod Touch a run for its money. On a side note mPlayer is excellent for watching non-converted vidz

I have another question with built in email client;I added my Gmail account;but its only showing around 360 of my 1900 odd messages.Refreshing does nothing,I checking the settings also but no luck. Any ideas...

Edit;

I sorted out my mail issue by changing my Gmail settings to Imap;it shows everything now,seems pop3 has early limtations...

Last edited by hargs48; 2008-12-28 at 15:28. Reason: Found Solution

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
2. This may be related to bug 3172, which is still an issue for me (n800 w/ latest OS 43-7)

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3172
Ha! And I was sitting here monkeying with it -- even tried exactly on the "Folder" icon. It's gotta be exactly on the *letters* of the foldername ...

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by fattomm View Post
Ha! And I was sitting here monkeying with it -- even tried <i>exactly</i> on the &quot;Folder&quot; icon. It's gotta be <i>exactly</i> on the *letters* of the <u>foldername</u> ...
Yeah, not intuitive, hopefully the maemo bug will get attention now.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
I still can't reproduce this, it works fine for me when dropping on the folder icon in 43.7.