Active Topics

I thought the new "Dates" application would sync with Evolution. The Ubuntu version does, but I can't see how for the Maemo version. Under the 'Calendar' menu, everything is grayed out except for 'Quit'. Does this aplication sync, or is it 'stand alone'?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
There are apparently issues with the DBUS version of the Evolution Data Server used on the 770, hence the difference.

I am getting tired of this sync thing being a problem for me. Come on, how difficult is it to build a calendar? It could have a ridiculously simple flat file for the data file, with a line for each setting, like a simple *.txt file, or a *.INI file, or even XML.

Who[m] ever created this app could have used a flat file, but I guess they used a binary file or put the data in the SQL database. Why? Why not just use a simple file, that could be manipulated easily with SED or notepad or something on the PC or Mac.

It is a given that the user will be using a MMC card - why not just let the application look on the root of /media/mmc1/ for the data file? Or in some other folder on the MMC card, specified by the user? If it was like that, you could sync via email if you wanted to - emailing that file to Entourage or Outlook. It would be easy to build a parser that did syncing on a simple text file. The text-based data for a calendar is not going to fill up a memory card.

Or you could have two files - a primary data file and a delta file (the latter would only have changes in it) - when the delta file was passed to Outlook or Entourage, it would just have to see if that data item already existed, and modify it. Or it might have a data item, and an instruction to delete the item. Stuff like that - easy.

Same with a To-Do list - is is practically a file itself.

Same with a Contacts application - you know, if the built-in Contacts application was feature-rich, I could see why it used the SQL database - but it is not! It is lame, like the stuff I did in college computer science projects. It could have just used an ASCII text file for its data source.

Yeah, with the DejaPim application, which was pretty slick, I can see why they might employ a proprietary file format, or encrypted tables, so that they protect their interests, but on free stuff? Come on.

It does not have to be this dificult!

Nokia, if you hear this, I am talking to you! Simple. Simple. Give us a break here.

A simple comment like "sync not yet working" mentioned in the Application Catalog, or on their home page would have been nice. I wouldn't have wasted over an hour trying to import my data.