Well a brief introduction:
I'm new to the forum but not to my N810. I even planned its initial release date and bought it the day it came out. I even write my own apps for it on occasion. So far I love how there's not much it won't do and how I have to explain to people that its not a phone (although I use BT interface with my cell), but a GPS, and nothing short of a computer.
Anyway.

I'm a firefighter and I had my Nokia sitting on the kitchen counter in its case charging and while in the other room I heard some of the guys looking at it (I hardly bring it out in the open unattended) and then I heard a thud and them all kinda get away from the scene. Later that night I went and turned it on only to find that I now have a puddle and a display crack in my top left side of the screen. The touch screen is still intact and works fine but the display is screwed.

Since no one will admit to who dropped it I know have to pay and repair it myself. I did some searching and only really came up with you guys mentioning one site that sells replacement screens. That one German site. Looks legit and I could see my self buying from them no problem cause Ich spreche Deutsch ( I speak german)

Anyway do you know of any other sites or maybe some tips to help me out?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
That is an option. Sending it to Nokia for repair is also an option. Buying a second hand too (eBay Germany has tons of 'em). I'd seriously consider to not involve in 3rd parties and keep it under official warranty with Nokia. But it depends on how old your device is, how long you have warranty. Keep in mind S&H costs. I don't know any 3rd parties which replace screen so I cannot help you with that. Ich wuensche Sie viel Glueck.

How long does that warranty last on these and how do I tell them that it broke and get it under warranty repaired?
I did some reading online and I thought I said somewhere that they only cover issues not caused by the consumer.

So if its about 75 bucks for a display from that one site then wouldn't it cost more to have them repair it? Getting another parts one is always an option and I might be able to get another for under 80 I think.
I'll do some more looking and hopefully Ich brauche nicht zu viel Glück

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
At least 1 year. It depends on where you bought it. In EU you have 3 years warranty.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
bad news, sorry it happened to you.

I'd get it repaired by Nokia, and post a photocopy of the repair cost on your noticeboard, and ask people to make a donation towards the repair, and hope the guys have a conscience. perhaps they think it's a cheap toy that you can buy from Wallymart for US$10, so you need to ensure they understand different.

Absolutely no help but FWIW you have my sympathy.

Did you see this thread BTW?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...screen+bricked

Last edited by dfinch; 2009-02-15 at 19:48. Reason: More info

The Following User Says Thank You to dfinch For This Useful Post: