Active Topics

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
My alarm stopped working. I can set alarms, and they DO go off, but there is no sound. I get the visual (snooze/cancel) alarm, but no auditory. The sound on the unit works otherwise. When I am creating an alarm, I can hear the sound of the selected tone. I simply get no auditory tone when the alarm goes off.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing this is related to https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1112

Which they seem to want me to run syslog to diagnose. which seemingly requires red pill mode. which the maemo wiki says will kill my tablet

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
You can also run 'apt-get install syslogd' as root too

I might try that. Thanks *off to get root*

Hm. "Couldn't find package"

I un-installed skype, just incase it was the "voip mode" thing as mentioned. No effect.

My device isnt ever in offline mode either. I simply set the alarm. The screen blanks after the set dimming time. Then when the alarm goes off, the screen turns on and it displays the alarm dialogue. But theres no sound.

Last edited by killdeer; 2009-01-18 at 22:48.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing

Maybe I'm ******ed here. It's amazing how I can be an expert with windows, and experienced with Ubuntu but Mameo is like re-learning everything over again.

If I try and run 'dpkg -i' on either of those urls above in terminal. I get an error saying it cant find the directory or file.

If I simply click the links they open in app manager but say "Unable to install, Incompatible application package"

So I actually restarted the system and did a test alarm. And it worked.

I'll have to reinstall Skype later and try it again to see if that was the problem. Or maybe the device just needed to be rebooted? (it was up for around 7 days)

I am a new N810 user, I experienced a loss of sound on my alarm too a couple of days ago, though the alarm functioned albeit silently. I was not able to listen to net radio either though it was seen to have buffered, I therefore decided to try earphones to establish if it was a speaker fault; inserting and removing the mini plug re-enabled audio output in turn via ear pieces and then speaker! The audio alarm has worked ever since! Strange? Now a happy bunny again.
I had used ear phones successfully earlier in the week and I wonder if on their removal there had been some malfunction in the socket? I certainly hadn't resorted to rebooting or other action.