Active Topics

Poll: e71, n79 or n82?
Poll Options
e71, n79 or n82?

hi folks. i was wondering if any of you could provide me with some advice and/or insight on a future purchase. i'm looking into getting a new phone and i'm torn between three nokia phones, the e71, the n79 and the n82. i like all of them but i'd appreciate your feedback. i'm assuming that many of you are nokia users and have experience with the aforementioned devices. how do they stand as individual devices and how well do they work in tandem with your nxx?

thanks for all your help!

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
The n82 as far as i know does not have us 3g. But i heard very very good reviews of its camera and flash.
The e 71 is obviously very good... and you could use your battery for the n810 because the batteries are similar.
The n79 is ok. I like the idea of the fm transmitter... but later on learnt that it is barely functional.

My personal opinion:

if you're in for the camera get a camera

unless you're in for ngage and games I would (and got) the e71. Only thing I miss is tv-out. Yes the ocasional snaps look worse than those of the n series, that's why I take my pictures with a canon dslr

have fun

hmmm...thanks everyone who has commented so far for the advice. i am leaning towards the e71 so we'll see. maybe some other folks will chime in too. the poll also seems to point to the e71.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
e71 latest firmware gives internet radio, which I personnally appreciate

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
My E71 and N800 work together very well - HSDPA and Bluetooth connections are fine. If I only could melt them together...

looks like my dilemma has been solved...for now.

i was hoping that a nam version of the 5800 would be released soon but it seems that nokia's dragging their feet and basking in the afterglow of their european success while making us north americans wait patiently. with that being said, i'm glad newegg has the e71 on sale for 300.

thanks for all your constructive comments folks. i knew i could count on some good advice.

I think the E71 it is just perfect for the tablet, most important characteristics could be:
If you are using N800, then the GPS of the E71 could be used also by the N800
The PDA capabilities of the tablet are not so good, then you have the E71 which is almost perfect for this porpoise.
E71 has a great 3,5G connection to use also with the tablet.
The battery of the E71 it is really long, long, lasting.
The only problem it is the 2,5" plug for the headset.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I have an N78 which is kind of the N79's ugly little brother, the E71, an N810 and an N800.

N82 - Xenon flash, best device if you don't want qwerty or 3G as the camera rivals point and shoots
N79 - US 3G latest Symbian OS version, 5mp sensor, Video out, 3.5 mm headphone
E71 -US3G best choice if you want a business device, probably one of the best designed mobile phones that Nokia have ever released. Lacking in multimedia features.

I personally recommend the E71, its a real nice piece of kit, you can tell Nokia released it to be their flagship business phone. Kind of like the N95 is to multimedia phones, the E71 can't really be beat for a business phone especially now that BB connect is coming back.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Why these 3 phones? Question is, what do you require?

The Nokia E71 has its QWERTY keyboard. Very nice. But if you have thick fingers you won't be able to use it very well. Other than that everything works very well. E-mail, GPS (works good), you name it. Most S60 applications which work on Nokia E61, Nokia E90, or Nokia N95 also work on Nokia E71.

Nokia E66 is cheaper and has also good features almost completely on par with Nokia E71. Its camera is worse than Nokia E71 but the Nokia E71 isn't good either. Nokia E90 is basically a Nokia Communicator with Symbian, and a clamshell instead of a candybar, but also more expensive than Nokia E71.

The battery in Nokia E71 (BP-4L) is the same as the battery used in Nokia N810. The battery used in Nokia N800 (BP-5L) is used in various Nokia devices.

I believe a Nokia E71 (for serious work / business) together with a Nokia N800 or Nokia N810 (for multimedia and playing) are a good combination. Its what I've been using past months. My 2 devices have the same battery so I can replace one with another if I'm in Serious Trouble. I use Nokia E71 GPS on my Nokia N810 and this works very good. What I miss is a good camera. Sure, it might be even better to combine all-in-one... but that is IMO not possible yet...

[edit]Where I wrote Nokia E66 I meant Nokia E63. This is a recent, cheaper version of the Nokia E71 but very much like it. Compare, might save you some bucks. It even saves a few problems with the hardware keyboard (IMO).[/edit]

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-02-10 at 17:03. Reason: [edit]