Active Topics

My n800 has started to wonk out.It will see my 4gig ext. card with the gpe file manager
but won't see the same card with the os2008 file manager.It also doesn't see my 256 anymore at all
Any ideas as to what is wrong?
thanx,
ken

Try turning the N800 off then taking them out and putting them back in and make sure you push them all the way in.

The Following User Says Thank You to clark404 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kdub420 View Post
My n800 has started to wonk out.It will see my 4gig ext. card with the gpe file manager
but won't see the same card with the os2008 file manager.It also doesn't see my 256 anymore at all
Any ideas as to what is wrong?
thanx,
ken
it is quite usual. if you cannot mount it (mount /media/mmc1), the only way is to turn your n800 off and turn it on again.

The Following User Says Thank You to aya For This Useful Post:
I constantly have problems with SD cards getting along with my N800, from not seeing them at all, to thinking they're corrupted. It did it very sparingly until a couple of months ago, now even after a reflash, reformatting the cards and changing one for a new one, the problem occurs frequently.

File Manager sometimes won't show them, other times shows 1 only, but thinks it's corrupted, or it just sits and tries to load them forever. Sometimes it will show the cards and all their folders, but can't read anything in the folders (just hangs as it tries to load them).

Usually I can just remove the card and reinsert it, and it will load fine after that, but if it gives me the corrupted error I usually reboot it (as if it doesn't reboot itself enough without my coaxing )

Last edited by Durango; 2009-02-03 at 20:43.

It will see my 4gig ext. card with the gpe file manager
but won't see the same card with the os2008 file manager.
Curious; is the card mounted (presumably it must be for GPE file manager to see it, unless you're just looking at the mount point directory)? What does the output of "mount" show?

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC
My N800 is having problems with both cards...I am unable to write to either card, although I can read from them. This has just happened---removing the cards and rebooting the device has not fixed this problem. I am going to try to back up the data and reformat the cards to see if this helps.

Anyone else having the same experience?

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
if cards do get corrupted, ensure there's a partition table on them before formatting - windows will quite cheerfully put an FS on the full raw device but this is not liked so much by linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eetimm View Post
My N800 is having problems with both cards...I am unable to write to either card, although I can read from them. This has just happened---removing the cards and rebooting the device has not fixed this problem. I am going to try to back up the data and reformat the cards to see if this helps.

Anyone else having the same experience?
I should have also mentioned, both of my cards have gone read only for the past few weeks. I'm backing up what I can in Vista, it seems half the data is corrupted (appears fine, but gives an error when trying to delete and does nothing when trying to copy). I backup the cards every few weeks so I'm not losing much, but it's aggravating, for sure.

The last thing I remember installing before I started noticing this happen was gpodder, but I don't believe it's related. The tablet did crash however after trying to download several podcasts at once, however.