Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland, Europe
I bought my N810 a few weeks ago and decided to replace the original 'transport' protective screen with a real one because it is awfully scratched. I got 3 pieces of Vikuiti™ ARMR200 from http://www.schutzfolien24.de/ last week and I've just been trying to apply it. I'm not satisfied with the result. I find it virtually impossible to avoid lint and no matter how hard I try I always get bubbles.

What happens if I leave the screen without any protection? Will it scratch after some time? Do I have to be really careful when using the stylus?

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
I've been using a naked N810 for about a year. I think I have one small negligible scratch. I prefer stylus to finger use.

Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I don't know how durable it is unprotected, but I've been really pleased with the Boxwave anti-glare protector. In addition to protecting, somehow it makes using the stylus more controllable.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Indiana
I am using the Boxwave n810 case, the one with the horizontal flip (leather case). I put a few credit cards and my drivers license in it when I first got it. Within hours I had made a small (deep) scratch on my screen. It turns out there was a burr on the corner of my drivers license. I now use a small thin piece of packing cellophane to cover the screen like a flap. No more worries and using the 'bare' screen is the way to go for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to RavMan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
If you left the screen unprotected you may lament it very soon. Protectors are cheap, n810 screens aren't.
About how to apply it with minimum lint and bubbles, there is plenty of advice here, just use the search.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by johnnybravo View Post
What happens if I leave the screen without any protection? Will it scratch after some time? Do I have to be really careful when using the stylus?
I have an N800 and have not used a screen protector for 1 year. There are no scratches on my display. I almost always use the stylus. I would never put my N800 in a pocket with my keys and I do not have pets or children around who might scratch it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
I have an N800 and have not used a screen protector for 1 year. There are no scratches on my display...
+1...

I have not used a screen protector on my N800 since the first day of release. No scratches here.

It's my belief that the people behind the "need" for screen protectors are the same people who told us all we "needed" those $19.95, stick on, battery boosters for our cell phones 5 years ago.

The next time you order some have them delivered by FedEx, signature required... When the delivery person hands you the "Power Pad" for you to "sign", ask them; how does the worlds largest user of touch screen, hand held devices protect the screens?

The answer is, they don't waste their money on them. He or she may show you an eye glass lens cleaner packet that they picked up in their check-in room that morning. They use those (or alcohol pads ganked from the first aid kits) to clean the ink off the screens from the many times ball point pens are used during the day instead of the stylus.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
It's quite difficult to avoid bubbles when applying a screen protector. But if isn't too bad, you can always try moving bigger bubbles with the stylus to the edges where they vanish. The smaller bubbles may disappear after a few days. This is what I have experienced with the screen protectors on my 3 tablets. All had some bubbles after applying, but after a week of use or so, all bubbles completely vanished, and the screen protector looks good. YMMV

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland, Europe
When I was applying the protective screen I used all the tips I could find on the internet. I did it in a steamy bathroom, used rubber gloves, air duster and so on. I admire those people who have succeeded.

I'm careful with the tablet, I use the pouch when I travel, I would never put a naked tablet with some keys in my pocket. The uprotected screen seems scratch resistant when I use my fingers and the stylus even when I press it really hard and I'm not planning to use any sharp objects. I can accept some minor scratches after 1 or 2 years of use, this is perfectly normal and I will most probably buy the new model when it comes out.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
The next time you order some have them delivered by FedEx, signature required... When the delivery person hands you the "Power Pad" for you to "sign", ask them; how does the worlds largest user of touch screen, hand held devices protect the screens?

The answer is, they don't waste their money on them.
Hmm, they also probably just replace their devices once a year or so. Buying a device for personal use is different from this kind of mass-buying for commercial use.