Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/09/a...-phone-tablet/

If this comes out before the n900.... end of story for Nokia.

PC-like Internet experience enhanced by a high-resolution 5" screen and full-width page viewing
Adobe Flash(TM) and Flash Video(TM) support, full screen
Access whenever and wherever to TV, movies, photos, music and games
Uncompromised TV recording and High Definition (HD) playback, all formats
Hundreds of hours of video storage, up to 500 GB
Innovative design: compact 10-mm ultra-thin tablet
Long battery life, 7 hours' video playback
3.5G 7.2 Mb/s HSUPA
Laptop-like performance from the first implementation of OMAP3440 processor based on the ARM(R) Cortex(TM) superscalar microprocessor and DSP

Last edited by sachin007; 2009-02-09 at 19:27. Reason: Specs

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
You mean like the Pandora ? :-)

Seriously, given Archos' pricing policy and their history of closed-source, locked-down devices, I wouldn't give it a chance outside of the usual passive PMP consumer crowd, even if it lives up to the hype, which it probably won't.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
except for the OMAP3 processor. isn't the n900 going to have something faster?

But this one is with Android!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The RX-51 (the so-called "n900") will also have an OMAP3 processor. It should be out a bit before the Archos device, or at least around the same time.

I have no idea why this would be an "end of story" for anyone. OMAP3 is the natural next generation processor. Android is a nice OS, but I think Fremantle will be a more interesting OS.

I like the idea of a 5" touch screen OMAP3 phone-enabled device, however. I wonder how long before someone hacks the Archos to run Mer?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Although it is not end of story..... If the archos tablet is previewed in MWC then more and more will be aware of the hardware, appearance etc. Wheras we still dont know anything about the size, capacity, and the appearance of the tablets.
Archos internet media tablets were nice multimedia tablets, but they sorely lacked in the ui and browser.... now with android, phone, huge storage and archos media capability... they certainly look a lot better than the to be announced(for ever) nokia n900.

The interest already is very low with nokia not choosing to annonce anything... the interest is slowly dwindling with such annoncements from competitors

I can't see how that device could possibly be 'end of story for Nokia'. A phone with a five-inch screen? A 500 GB HARD DRIVE? Moving parts and all? And the description doesn't say anything about what SD card features or wi-fi, bluetooth features it has. No. No. Not for me.

A hard drive, in 2009? They've got to be kidding.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I was just about to post about this one :-)

It's major downside, for me, is that it doesn't have a physical keyboard.

That device, with a physical keyboard, 7" screen, and the 6 shortcomings of Android* fixed, would be like an ideal mobile device for me. Ideally with the convertible tablet swivel screen format.

(* some gmail shortcomings, some google reader shortcomings, google docs isn't read/write, shortcomings in the ConnectBot/ssh and VNC viewer integration, lack of SyncML client, and some IM client shortcomings)

I think,

it is a good thing, Nokia loses extremely in the near future

Nokia N97 - Samsung S8300 or Nokia N900 ??? - Archos Android or

other Android Internet Tablets

because otherwise they will not wake up - unfortunately

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Android is a nice OS, but I think Fremantle will be a more interesting OS.
More interesting for whom?

A small market of geeks who want actual linux tablets (where the linux layer is accessible, and mostly compatible with traditional linux apps)?

Or the larger market of consumers who want usable devices?

I think that, for the former, Fremantle will be more interesting. For the latter, I don't think Fremantle will be more interesting. Unfortunately for Maemo fans, I think the latter group will do more to determine the longer term landscape of the market. And that's the group that's more likely to choose Android over Fremantle.