Active Topics

When the N810 is locked from the lock key, it will unlock if the keyboard is slid open. I keep mine in my pocket, and the slightest nudge will unlock my tablet, at which point my pocket runs whatever program it wants to click on. Does anyone know of a way to disable this behavior? I love my tablet, but every time i pull the thing from my pocket my background is crazy and there are 3 programs running.

Thanks for the help.

Well, the first rule is, keep it in a case. That'll keep it from sliding open and doing weird stuff on you. Second, look into getting the mod (I forget the exact thread title) which allows you to use the light sensor on the unit to auto-lock the tablet. So, as long as it's dark, the unit will lock and stay locked.

I keep the tablet in my pocket, and the case makes the whole thing too big for that in my opinion. Plus I like to just take it out for quick tasks, and having to take it out of the case and stash the case somewhere, then put it back in the case is too much of a hassle for me.

I tried the auto lock program, but even when the tablet is locked via the light sensor, opening the keyboard will still unlock it. I think the only thing that would work for me is to disable the functionality that causes the tablet to unlock when the keyboard is opened. If I can find some free time I might look into this myself. I just got my gentoo box back up and running, so now might be the right time to start contributing.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
sceptre15, I'm with you on this. Being able to disable unlock on slide would be great for me.

I keep the tablet in my pocket, and the case makes the whole thing too big for that in my opinion.
Wait, what!? You're serious, right? The stock nokia case (assuming you haven't replaced it with a 3rd party case) is not that big. I carry mine around in my pocket with the default nokia case on it and really I can't tell the difference between the nokia with and without. They feel essentially the same to me.

But like I said, if you're using a 3rd party case, I can see your point. But if it's the stock nokia slide case for the n810, no, I fail to see how it's "too big", all sarcasm aside.

The nokia in my pocket is pretty large by itself, and the stock nokia case adds significant thickness in my opinion and pushes it over the edge for me as far as carrying it in my pocket comfortably goes. Also, the fact that I have to remove it from the case every time I want to do something, then stick the case back in my pocket, then remove it when I am finished typing, place the nokia back in its case, then put the whole thing back in my pocket, is just too annoying for ME. (Sorry for the huge sentence). Maybe its fine for others but thats my opinion. Anyway this thread is not about arguing about the size of the case. It was a question about whether there is a way to disable the "keyboard unlocks screen" feature, and I think I have my answer. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to sceptre15 For This Useful Post:
Oh this really sucks. Such a huge oversight here. I think that may have just cured me of N810 envy. I can see that thing turning on while in my holster. Not cool at all.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Oh this really sucks. Such a huge oversight here. I think that may have just cured me of N810 envy. I can see that thing turning on while in my holster. Not cool at all.
Well, I must say that I too carry my N810, sans case, in a front pants pocket, and I have been doing so all day, every day for six months. Not once has the keyboard slider opened enough to unlock the device.

hmmm... so perhaps this fellow's keyboard is loose?

http://www.thepouch.com/nokia-810.html

If you carry it in your front pocket all the time and don't want to be bothered with the carrying case, may I suggest this instead? It'll protect the nokia, eliminate all the problems you're having, and allow it to be carried around comfortably on your belt.