Active Topics

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
This may sound kind of noobish but I just want to know if it would work:

Could you connect a wireless (EV-DO/3G) USB modem (like this) into a male mini USB to female usb adaptor (like this) and have internet access through the USB?

I have seen and mentioned the Novatel mifi and I just thought to myself "Would it be possible to bypass the wifi and just go through usb?" So I decided to ask you guys. I am going to try and research this a bit myself and see what I can find out but having a few more people helping out would make this go faster. Thanks.

Well, it says it's supported under Linux, so maybe it could be made to work. It all depends on the power requirements. It says 'low power consumption', but there's no spec. The Huawei E220, for example, sucks 500mA which the N8x0 USB can't support.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
so maybe it could be made to work
So assuming that I found one with the appropriate power needs, is there any sort of existing software I could use to interface with it?

OK well it looks like the MC760 (the one I linked to) is not going to work because according to the pdf manual on the website the power consumption is:

Transmit: max 650 mA
idle: max 115 mA

The Following User Says Thank You to verumgero For This Useful Post:
No, that won't even work with the Pandora (which can provide 500mA). Even 115mA is probably a bit too much but I'm not certain. You would need a powered hub, but maybe there are some battery-powered ones around.