Active Topics

Hey, was just wondering something. I'm probably overlooking the obvious here, so forgive me if this question is stupid. But what I'm looking at is to find a way to make my tablet somewhat promiscuous as far as wifi hot spots is concerned. Basically I'm looking to leave it in my back pocket and have it search about every 10 minutes for an open wifi spot, then if it finds one, to connect to it automatically, grab my mail, then logout.

I see you can automatically connect with the connection settings set to connect automatically, but my understanding of that is, to connect automatically and stay connected. I instead want it to only check every 10 minutes, and only stay on long enough to check my mail. IE, 2-3 minutes tops. And I only want it to scan once each 10 minutes. So if it doesn't see a hot spot, it just goes back to sleep.

The idea behind this is to keep it hunting for mail, but not be so aggressive as to suck my battery dry while in my pocket. Any ideas on how I could pull this off? Or is this something beyond what the tablets can do at this point?

I instead want it to only check every 10 minutes, and only stay on long enough to check my mail. IE, 2-3 minutes tops.
Almost... Under Control panel -> Connectivity:

General
  • Connect automatically: WLAN
  • Search interval: 10 minutes
Idle times
  • WLAN idle time: 5 minutes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post

The idea behind this is to keep it hunting for mail, but not be so aggressive as to suck my battery dry while in my pocket. Any ideas on how I could pull this off? Or is this something beyond what the tablets can do at this point?
The wiFi being active all the time uses very little battery power. The LCD display is what drains the battery. For instance, at 6am I begin using my N800 on battery power, with WiFi running and Pigin Messenger running. After 5 minutes the display turns off. The display will remain off util I get an email or a message. About 8 hours later I need to pop in a fresh battery. Of course, if I use my NIT for a solid hour at lunch time with the display on, I will not get 8 hours. If you carry your NIT in your pocket, make sure you lock the screen so that movement will not turn on your display.

PS What I don't know is if your NIT draws more current searching for a SID as opposed to remining connected.

Last edited by Den in USA; 2009-03-27 at 18:03.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Though there may be WiFi hotspots available, they may not be public or open.
I don't think you're going to be successful in this endeavor, unless you frequent the same hotspots repeatedly.
In the posting above, the assumption is that the hotspot is already known to your device.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Almost... Under Control panel -> Connectivity:

General
  • Connect automatically: WLAN
  • Search interval: 10 minutes
Idle times
  • WLAN idle time: 5 minutes
Man, no wonder my battery sometimes just die out out of the blue after a few hours even with the screen lock on. Mine's been on unlimited idle time and I never thought of changing that until now.

the OP has a good point, i wish it would just connect to any open network on its own without it being saved as a "favorite"

Yeah, I just need the connection to be a bit promiscuous and grab whatever open AP is there, and just keep grabbing them as they're available.

i think the installed email program on the n800 is set up to automatically check email when a connection is present...

They all are. I'm looking for something that makes my internet connection pop its head up every 10 minutes so my email program will be able to get its mail, only stays online as long as is needed to grab the mail, and then disconnects.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Hey, was just wondering something. I'm probably overlooking the obvious here, so forgive me if this question is stupid. But what I'm looking at is to find a way to make my tablet somewhat promiscuous as far as wifi hot spots is concerned. Basically I'm looking to leave it in my back pocket and have it search about every 10 minutes for an open wifi spot, then if it finds one, to connect to it automatically, grab my mail, then logout.

I see you can automatically connect with the connection settings set to connect automatically, but my understanding of that is, to connect automatically and stay connected. I instead want it to only check every 10 minutes, and only stay on long enough to check my mail. IE, 2-3 minutes tops. And I only want it to scan once each 10 minutes. So if it doesn't see a hot spot, it just goes back to sleep.

the problem is you may connect to home users unprotected wifis (which is a crime google it if you doubt me) apart from the crime side some people set up there routers with a fake connection thats open and booby traped (from upside down pictures and text to really nasty stuff, though if you delibratly steal then you get what you deserve not saying thats your intention ofcourse

now if you are on t-mobile get web n walk so you can use ur mobile as a connection, virgin and three have similier deals all very cheap and legal (pre pay and monthly)