Notices

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
I am not sure this is the right place for it so if you need to move the thread feel free.

Anyways, up until this point I have been using the default media player on my n800 and I have been happy with it. I have recently moved to Japan and since I am in the process of learning Japanese I have been listening to a lot of Japanese music. In any event, I have found that the default media player in diablo doesn't like Japanese font.

SCREENSHOT!!!

SO what do you guys think? Is there a module I can install for Japanese font? I know my way around my n800 so I am not afraid of technical instructions. Thanks.

You might try :
http://maemocjk.garage.maemo.org/

It may mess with input methods so if your on n800 be prepared to reflash if it messes up virtual keyboard.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
I will give that a try and let you know how it comes out.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Most likely the encoding of the filename isn't UTF-8, but EUC or SJIS.
UTF-8 filenames should display correctly in the filemanager and media player.

If the names in the screenshots are not filenames, but ID3 tags, you should use ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags because those support character encodings. ID3v1 doesn't know about encodings.

Oh, and don't worry about Diablo. Maemo supports CJK fonts since Diablo out of the box without having to install additional fonts.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Most likely the encoding of the filename isn't UTF-8, but EUC or SJIS.
UTF-8 filenames should display correctly in the filemanager and media player.

If the names in the screenshots are not filenames, but ID3 tags, you should use ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags because those support character encodings. ID3v1 doesn't know about encodings.
The default diablo Media Player shows MP3 tags instead of file names in the 'now playing' and file selector screens. Unfortunately, the program does not use correct encoding, as my all my MP3 tags are ID3v2.3 and does not display correct japanese, korean or chinese characters within those tags.
Canola and Mediabox display japanese characters correctly out of the box but the korean and chinese characters needed a unicode font or corresponding korean and chinese font in my /~/.fonts directory.
Does Nokia 'Media Player' have the source available to recompile with correct UTF-8 settings? OR is it closed source?

Last edited by marsteam; 2009-04-07 at 16:44. Reason: fixed directory

Unfortunately the Nokia Media Player is closed source.
ID3v2.3 supports the encodings latin-1 (irrelevant for CJK), utf-16 (little and big endian), and utf-8. Maybe the Nokia Media Player doesn't look at the encoding flag and just assumes UTF-8. This would totally mess up UTF-16 encoded stuff.

I don't know about Canola, but MediaBox displays Japanese and Chinese characters out of the box on Diablo. I don't know about Korean, either, since I currently don't have music with Korean tags.
I assume the Nokia Media Player shouldn't have problems with font rendering either. It could be the encoding problem there.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Unfortunately the Nokia Media Player is closed source.
ID3v2.3 supports the encodings latin-1 (irrelevant for CJK), utf-16 (little and big endian), and utf-8. Maybe the Nokia Media Player doesn't look at the encoding flag and just assumes UTF-8. This would totally mess up UTF-16 encoded stuff.

I don't know about Canola, but MediaBox displays Japanese and Chinese characters out of the box on Diablo. I don't know about Korean, either, since I currently don't have music with Korean tags.
I assume the Nokia Media Player shouldn't have problems with font rendering either. It could be the encoding problem there.
Interesting... I use MP3tag to clean up my files, and haven't played with the ID3v2.3 encoding differences between UTF-16 and UTF-8... I never had to as my dedicated mp3 player (Samsung P2) displayed everything correctly. I will play around with the program settings and see if I can get it to encode as UTF-8 instead of UTF-16.

Regarding Chinese characters, I believe that system-wise there is display support for Japanese and Simplified Chinese but not Traditional Chinese characters; Just to be safe I threw in a full Unicode font to solve the problem and gain other character sets for the browser.

I see in MP3tag there are these options:

ID3v2.4 UTF-8
ID3v2.3 UTF-16
ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1

All my files (ALL OF THEM *sob*) are encoded in ID3v2.3 UTF-16...

Testing the same S.Korean mp3 in both ID3v2.4 UTF-8 and ID3v2.3 UTF-16 encoding: Both files show garbage characters in the Media Player. Mind you, they are DIFFERENT random characters for the exact same song, but random garbage characters nonetheless. Oh well, no need to re-encode my whole library.

All my music is tagged with ID32.4 UTF-8 tags and the Chinese ones still show up as ???? in media player. But I rarely use it (I prefer youamp, canola, or mediabox) so it works out anyway.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...