Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I present the latest cousine from my python kitchen - PyQtoReader. What does this latest gem from Wacky Tablet Productions do, you ask ? The name should be pretty self-explanatory - it's a multi purpose image zoomer tool written in Python and Qt. Yes, yes, but what does it DO ? OK, OK, in plain English that would be a .cbr reader on steroids for you. I see you're not impressed. How about these extra goodies:

* dynamic zoom/drag, no more boring button pressing for zoom in-out !
* online integration - webcomics, dilbert, userfriendly, xkcd, penny arcade,
whatever rocks your boat
* online integration #2 - flickr, picasa photostreams
* OpenGL support for FAST zoom/drag
* oversize JPG/RAW support it to check on those 20MPix camera images you have
lingering around your tablet
* view LARGE text/html docs with leisure
* possibly pdf via poppler one day
* cbt/cbz without extra dependencies, cbr via unrar

It's really geared towards OpenGL ES devices, but I hacked together a tablet release for all of us who don't happen to have a next-gen nokia tablet in our cupboard. It lacks the whooshes, the fizz and the bang, but does a pretty decent job even on non GL accelerated platforms (read -> your N800 or N810). The alpha unfortunately misses the online integration as well as it's too unstable just yet, but it will be there for the beta.

Still fighting with the autobuilder, so no extras-devel release yet, you'll have to make with a simple .zip (I included an astronomy poster just in case you don't have big pictures at hand). No install required, just unzip in a dir, start pyqtoreader.py and you're good to go.

http://www.atombiztos.hu/pyqtoreader.zip

In case you don't have pyqt installed, the magic command to get it is:

apt-get install python2.5-qt4-gui
Attached Images

Last edited by attila77; 2009-04-20 at 15:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Sweet, I should try this out to see how it works with reading manga.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Also note that this is truly multiplatform. You can literally download the .zip above and run it not just on your NIT, but PC, Mac or Linux desktop as long as you have PyQt (see http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/.../pyqt/download for desktop binaries). Looks a bit bland on desktops as it was made for fullscreen viewing on small displays, but show the concept.

EDIT I'll replace the screenshots with a video tonight as static screenshots don't do it justice.

Does the xkcd function show alt text?

The demo above doesn't, but it's trivial to add to it (it supports image annotations and technically, alt tags are just that). I'll probably put it in in the next release.

I can't seem to install this. Doing an apt-get with that command just shows errors that won't be resolved. Dependencies that won't be installed.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
How is this compared to cbrpager? Is it faster at rendering? Better navigation? Its seems much bigger...

and it looks like i am missing something like python2.5-qt4-core.

Here
Code:
#apt-get install pyqtoreader python2.5-qt4-gui python2.5-qt4-core python2.5-qt4-common

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     python2.5-qt4-core: Depends: python2.5-qt4-common (= 4.4.3-maemo9) but 4.4.3-maemo7 is to be installed
     python2.5-qt4-gui: Depends: python2.5-qt4-core (= 4.4.3-maemo7) but 4.4.3-maemo9 is to be installed
E:  Broken Package

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2009-05-05 at 05:49.

There is a problem with the autobuilder or some related script which causes the extras-devel python-qt dependency breakage. This incidentally makes pyqtoreader in extras-devel broken, too.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
How is this compared to cbrpager? Is it faster at rendering? Better navigation? Its seems much bigger...
Differences:
- better navigation/zooming (tap-drag for navigation, doubletap-drag for loupe style 1:1 zoom)
- better image scaling quality
- more supported image/cb formats
- does webcomics
- does plain images, too
- has support for annotations
- the development versions have support for text/html formats as well
- openGL accelerated (well, not much use on N800/N810s, but still)

As it's python-qt, it is slower than cbrpager on a N8x0 Diablo NIT, from what I understand on RX-51/fremantle it will be a lot quicker than cbrpager.

The current package in extras-devel is very raw, I wouldn't recommend it for day-to-day use, it's more of a tech-demo. I managed to include a fairly large default cbr in the package, that's where the extra size comes from. It will be gone in the next release (replaced with something more reasonably sized, that is).