Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/23/s...o-movit-movit/

at least if one ask ross rubin, that seems to be the case...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
He said:
Under some definitions, it has become the first mass-market Mobile Internet Device.
but you have a fair point. The nokia internet tablets are ignored by the media while other projects are either hyped or mentioned as new...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Seriously.

The problem with that quote is that None of the stuff they preview are any more mass market than the IT.

If all those guys had a N800 or N810 to play on a daily basis they would singing the praises of Maemo at Engadget...untried and untold is unsold. Nokia should ship them complimentary NITs and make them addicts...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
One would now be hard-pressed to name another non-cellular handheld device that has access to as many modern applications as Apple's flagship digital media player. Under some definitions, it has become the first mass-market Mobile Internet Device (or MID).
Right, the iPhone has way more apps than Debian Stable or Ubuntu...

I don't get it at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Are you all saying that Nokia has shipped close to 17 million N8x0 devices? Or that they have mass market appeal/presence?

If not then the specific line in the article is accurate.

The NIT is not unknown and the author does not say so any more than he/she says that IPAQs do not exist. They are simply stating a fact. The iphone is a mass market device and can arguably be called a MID (depending on who's looking).

We all know that the N8x0 is still under development by Nokia and so, while advertised is not meant specifically for mass consumption.

I don't know whether those other operating systems have more apps, but do they have more apps that the average user uses?

Last edited by dbec10; 2009-04-24 at 00:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to dbec10 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Just thinking out loud....

What is a MID? Does anyone still know definitively what is and what is not?

I have no problem with the author calling it a MID. But I don't know anymore for sure.

I used to think a MID could not have voice ability, it had to be data centric. Is that not still so? I also though it had to have a certain sized screen? Is that correct? A business device?

By my definition (the one I held up until now) the most mass market MID would be the HP IPAQ.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
What is a MID? Does anyone still know definitively what is and what is not?
Well, considering that Intel came up with the term for their handheld Atom platform, it's a device with a 4-5" screen using an Intel Atom. The term has morphed to more generically mean anything between a smartphone and a UMPC.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
...I don't know whether those other operating systems have more apps,
They do.
but do they have more apps that the average user uses?
Average user of what? While the circle of total Ubuntu users may overlap the circle of total iPod touch users, they aren't necessarily the same. Or are you referring to the 'average user' straw man that the media like to put forth (which always seems to be some back-water, barely educated inbred that has to leave his/her shoes tied in order to save 1/2 hour each morning).

Anyway, your comment reminds me of the new *nix user who doesn't believe they need all those files and programs on their computer, only to remove them to his/her detriment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dick-richardson For This Useful Post: