Active Topics

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
At work I got this phone and I've to say it really limits the need to bring along the N810.

It has almost everything (and more) I was using in the IT in a third of space and weight:

- gps (fast) and maps
- qwerty keyboard (smaller, but better)
- wifi and bluetooth
- putty client
- fring client
- internet browsing with flash (casual use)
- email
- better PDA
- PDF reader
- small office (word, spreadsheet)
- sport-tracking
- mp3, real, youtube players
- microsd card

and moreover:

- 3G connection
- ah, yes: phone calls

Luckily it shares with the tablet the same battery, usb cable and recharger, so it's not a big deal to bring the tablet too. The latter has yet just the (not small) advantage of the big screen, which is better for movies, e-books and terminal.

soprano.

Last edited by umberto_soprano; 2009-05-08 at 11:50.

Well, think of the e71 as being the proof of concept before the major overhaul of the NX-51.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I have to agree. Its a great device which does many important things my N810 wasn't able to fulfill.

It doesn't have a touchscreen. The internal GPS is good (enough), and can be exported with ExtGPS. Don't like 2.5 mm headphones requirement though. And the VPN client is archaic, I think it only supports IPsec, PPTP; not L2PP and OpenVPN. Setting up a tunnel with SSH from command line is easy but since you don't get POSIX with UNIX framework easily running you cannot simply get that or something like OpenVPN working. Hmm, and no Carman. The processor is weaker than N8x0, I think, but for me its good and so is the battery life. There is also good navigation software available for S60.

All in all, E71 is a great device for me, much for the same reasons you mentioned. Hardware-wise I've compared it with iPod touch 2nd gen and Nokia N810 elsewhere. It is not necessarily only the Nokia E71 which is great. The device has been remarkably well received even in consumer market (for which it was originally not marketed). Nokia has used the design of this device for further development such as Nokia E63 and Nokia E66.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post
At work I got this phone and I've to say it really limits the need to bring along the N810.

It has almost everything (and more) I was using in the IT in a third of space and weight:

- gps (fast) and maps
I have an E71, and after a week of use of my N800 I find myself faster at typing in its full-screen keyboard than in my E71 one (I'm relatively fast at both)

- wifi and bluetooth
- putty client
- fring client
I know what you mean with 'casual'. This for me is the biggest advantage of my N800. The E71 browser gives me two options for flash - Skyfire or the native broswer. Both pale in comparison to the N800.

- email
- better PDA
How so? (Genuine question here, no snide remark at all)

- PDF reader
- sport-tracking
- microsd card

and moreover:

- 3G connection

Luckily it shares with the tablet the same battery, usb cable and recharger, so it's not a big deal to bring the tablet too. The latter has yet just the (not small) advantage of the big screen, which is better for movies, e-books and terminal.

soprano.
The batteries are the same?. The N800 uses the B5-PL battery, which is the same as the old E62. I didn't know the N810 used the same battery as the E71

Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post

- gps (fast) and maps
- wifi and bluetooth
- putty client
- fring client
- email
- better PDA
- PDF reader
- sport-tracking
- microsd card

and moreover:

- 3G connection
...and the 5800 has all of that plus a much higher resolution touchscreen.

But to be fair, the N810 is quite old now. The new Maemo device will hopefully make up a lot of the difference with Symbian (for example it will have 3G which will make it much more suitable for internet access anywhere).

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
The E71 is really nice and it's features can be easily exploited especially because of the PC suite. For example mine gets it's calendar automatically (over bluetooth) two-way sync with outlook as soon as the phone appears in the range of the PC.

It would be great if the new device/OS could get supported by PC suite too, but I doubt it (since it's only a windows application). Anyways..

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
seeing these phones, one can only imagine what tablets could have become hadn't they stopped development after the N810. - one day, when nokia is no more and all NDAs are forgotten, i'd like to hear the true story behind the hardware gap we're seeing and the fate of elephanta.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
hadn't they stopped development after the N810.
have I missed something??
take a pencil and a sheet of paper and write this 1000 times:

NOKIA DOES NOT HAVE STOPPED DEVELOPMENT OF THE MAEMO OPERATING SYSTEM OR A DEVICE RUNNING THE MAEMO OPERATING SYSTEM

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
have I missed something??
take a pencil and a sheet of paper and write this 1000 times:

NOKIA DOES NOT HAVE STOPPED DEVELOPMENT OF THE MAEMO OPERATING SYSTEM OR A DEVICE RUNNING THE MAEMO OPERATING SYSTEM
at one point, i think they were close to it or maybe even did.

my assumption (granted, pure speculation) is that from a marketing perspective, there should have been a successor to the N810 in 2008. everything else simply wouldn't make sense... more than 1 1/2 years without a new device! (it was even worse, acually, as the N810 was hardly more than a re-packaged N800... so when you buy an N810 now in 2009, it's mostly hardware designed in 2006 for the release date Jan. 2007).

as we know this assumed "2008-tablet" was never released, so i think something big was going on behind the scenes. (also, the planned successor to diablo, elephanta, was dumped at that time.) this may have been an "N900" with elephanta... it might also have been somebody temporarily pulling the plug... or the whole ship changing direction at full speed to focus on a different target group with Maemo.

whatever it was, i'm pretty sure it wasn't planned that way in 2007.

that's what i mean when i say they stopped development after the N810. at least for a while.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
at one point, i think they were close to it or maybe even did.
Baloney.

my assumption (granted, pure speculation) is that from a marketing perspective, there should have been a successor to the N810 in 2008. everything else simply wouldn't make sense... more than 1 1/2 years without a new device! (it was even worse, acually, as the N810 was hardly more than a re-packaged N800... so when you buy an N810 now in 2009, it's mostly hardware designed in 2006 for the release date Jan. 2007).

as we know this assumed "2008-tablet" was never released, so i think something big was going on behind the scenes. (also, the planned successor to diablo, elephanta, was dumped at that time.) this may have been an "N900" with elephanta... it might also have been somebody temporarily pulling the plug... or the whole ship changing direction at full speed to focus on a different target group with Maemo.
Your conclusions here, are, I believe, incorrect. Elephanta was axed to move Fremantle up a bit (~6 months). Fremantle would've originally been slated for a release late this year or early next, so killing Elephanta accelerated its development. Which, personally (pure speculation), I believe has to do with Symbian, Qt, and Harmattan.

Tags
e71, n800, n810