Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
So my wife bought me a 1st generation Kindle. I was pretty pumped but after a bit I was afraid that my poor n800 would become neglected and sad. So the fight begins!!

Kindle makes a quick jab with it's easy to read in broad daylight screen

Kindle follows up with a haymaker from it's rather convenient "whispernet".

N800 is staggering a bit but responds with a pair of jabs from GPE calendar and GPE todo

Kindle responds impressively long battery life

N800 moves in unabated and swings a crushing blow of THE ENTIRE SECOND SEASON OF THE OFFICE ON AN 8 GB SD CARD!!!!

Kindle just drops to the ground for the ten count.

So yeah, honestly, there isn't really any point to compare these two devices. They are both good for two separate things. I use the N800 for listening to music, watching videos, keeping track of my appointments and to do list, writing lesson plans, and occasionally using maemo mapper with my BT GPS. I used to read ebooks but now the Kindle has taken over that responsibility.

Two devices, two different purposes, and they both get along just fine. Moral of the story: the N800 is pretty handy device in it's own niche and will probably always keep a spot in my bag.

When you say The Office do you mean the US version? If so, I salute you

» N800, cloned Diablo on 2 GB SD (Device: 600 MB, Internal: 256 MB, Swap: 256 MB), 8 GB external SD

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by verumgero View Post
so yeah, honestly, there isn't really any point to compare these two devices.
LoL, that made my day.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Originally Posted by jself View Post
When you say The Office do you mean the US version? If so, I salute you

Yes I mean the US version.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
imho kindle would never get into the ring. No backlighting, what were they thinking.
I know - battery life probably, but still - no backlighting !

Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
imho kindle would never get into the ring. No backlighting, what were they thinking.
I know - battery life probably, but still - no backlighting !
Backlighting? Dude, why would you want a backlighted device when you can have This ?

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by JustNick View Post
Backlighting? Dude, why would you want a backlighted device when you can have This ?[/IMG]

I walk around with one of those on whether I'm reading or not... It's...just...cool.

Tim

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Tim, remember that talk we had? You're mixing up cool and dorky again.

I agree with the "2 devices - 2 uses" mentality.
I have both a Kindle2 and an N810. I use them for two totally different uses, with very little overlap. I use my kindle for reading ebooks during the day at my kid's activities, because it is simply easier to read in the daylight. I use it to listen to music while I read my books. I also use the built in web browser to quickly check emails and activitiy schedules/updates.

I use my N810 as a PDA, to hook up to m car stereo for music on trips, as my GPS, and as a ultra portable computer.

To expand even further, I use my netbook for surfing while watching TV and carrying to conferences and the like so that I always have Internet.

I use my desktop when I need real computing power and multitasking.

I use my Blackberry to keep me informed of my WORK schedules and email.

So the moral of the story is that each device has its own use and NO, I do not carry all of them with me all of the time, but even when I travel, all except the desktop fit in my sachel and away I go......

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
And yet if the tablet was designed more like the Nintendo DS (two screens with one of them being enabled with haptics); then we'd not be having this discussion...

...though we would be trying to shoe-horn two batteries into each half of the device so that the Kindle's battery life wouldn't look that much better.