Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Will OVI API's be available for use in Mer? That is; is it concievable that an N800/810 could run Nokia maps, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I'm a little confused about Mer. Wondering the same things. Is it an extension of Maemo or just an alternative? What are the pros and cons?

Mer is the next OS for the n800 and n810 tablets. The OS used for n900 will not be compatible with older tablets thus a community effort (sponsored by Nokia partially I think) the next (unofficial?) OS.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

so Mer is only for legacy devices? I would prefer Maemo to Mer, or is Mer adding more functions? And can Mer run on the N900?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
so Mer is only for legacy devices? I would prefer Maemo to Mer, or is Mer adding more functions? And can Mer run on the N900?
You might find "Mer/About" helpful.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
You might find "Mer/About" helpful.
Thanks sjgadsby...

Now back to the original question
Do we know anything about these API's yet or will that all have to wait for Nokia World...

Will anybody be attending?

http://events.nokia.com/nokiaworld/d...nce-agenda.htm

sorry to hijack the thread, but I've read extensively about Mer, but don't understand completely, which is what has always scared me about Linux. I understand it that Mer is REPLACEMENT for Maemo/Diablo, but is this true for Freemantle as well? What I mean is is Mer an upgrade or downgrade from Freemantle, or just a quasi Freemantle for legacy devices?

As a future RX-51/71 user, how much attention should I pay to Mer? Could it replace Maemo for Nokia as well?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
sorry to hijack the thread, but I've read extensively about Mer, but don't understand completely...
Please see the "Mer does what?!?!" thread. If it doesn't answer all your questions, please ask them there or in a new thread in the Alternatives forum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Will OVI API's be available for use in Mer? That is; is it concievable that an N800/810 could run Nokia maps, etc.
If we say Mer/N8x0 exclusively, then maybe. I don't know. Nokia doesn't have a problem pushing Nokia software to Nokia devices.

If Mer is sane enough for Ovi APIs, then it's really a matter of Nokia giving the go and recompiling. But it's all up to Nokia.

If Mer/everywhere - I highly doubt so Unless if Nokia wants to earn money on services independent of devices and use that Maemo API is on several devices.

Interesting discussion though. Someone suggest a lightning talk on the topic for summit of the pro- and cons of this stuff?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-08-22 at 14:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: