Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Monterrey, Mexico
According to the press release
The Nokia N900 will be available in select markets from October 2009 with an estimated retail price of EUR 500 excluding sales taxes and subsidies.
Any tips, hints, rumors on what markets would get it?
With N97 not even released on my neck of the woods I guess I'll sit and wait while playing with my N800

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Originally Posted by alex_mayorga View Post
Any tips, hints, rumors on what markets would get it?
It's on the German website already: http://shop.nokia.de/nokia-de/default.aspx
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
You can preorder in Italy, too. I did. 599 € will soon be out of my account.

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
According to a post here on t.m.o., and who am I to dispute that august body, the n810 had 7 keyboard variants: us, fisenoda, ptes, fr, de, ru, it.

I assume the n900 will be the same.

Is it this which drives the "selected markets" thing? The only Nokia european websites I find taking pre-orders are Germany and Italy.

Assuming the US model is available on the same date, why can't they release in the UK as well?
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
In Forum Nokia:
Regional Availability: Europe, Middle East, North America

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Since we're experct speculators, my guess is as follows:

British English, American English, Canadian French, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Swedish, Russian

From the N900 language support section, they probably wouldn't do languages spoken in countries where they aren't selling, right ?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Regional Availability: Europe, Middle East, North America
That's just a region tag, not all countries are a go. For example I know the N8x0 was never sold in Hungary, even though it's in the EU and all.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
British English, American English, Canadian French, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Swedish, Russian
Why would it differ from the n810 seven?

us - British English, American English
fisenoda - Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish
ptes - Portuguese, Spanish, Latin American Spanish
fr - Canadian French, French French
de - German
ru - Russian
it - Italian

Just got to fit in Czech, Dutch and Polish (maybe on German keyboard)
  • crossed fingers

Last edited by dormant; 2009-08-27 at 17:31.

No idea what it would be, but going by the recent 5800 and N97 launches I'd say it would include a few random European countries and somewhere in Asia. Americas launches are normally handled separately because they use different frequencies, and the Americas are traditionally weaker markets for Nokia anyway so they normally come later.

(Apple usually does launches in the US first and Europe later as Europe is a weaker market for Apple. Get your strong markets first, then move on to less sure territory...)

But that's all guesswork. Maybe Maemo's US links and the tablets' relatively strong sales in America would bring the N900 there first? That would make some sense too.

It's all so new it's unpredictable...

In any case, they usually go global within half a year of the "select markets", so if you can sit on your hands for six months you should have it wherever you are.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'd check the availability of the N900 from the online Nokia store in Canada, but they don't have one.

I suspect Canadians will be getting their N900s from the States, just like we did with the N800.

Tags
availability