Hi all,

I thought I'd mention this in case any of you use VDR* as your TV recorder: I'm succesfully using the 770-encode script by Andrew Flegg to put recordings on my 770 with one push of a remote control button.

The small script and some instructions can be found at http://koti.welho.com/jkukkone/vdr/. Basically it goes like this:

Setup:
  • Make sure you have mencoder and 770-encode.pl installed
  • Copy scripts encode-for-770.sh and encode-for-770-wrapper.sh into /etc/vdr/, and set them executable by vdr user
  • Add a recording command into whatever file rec-commands should go into (reccmds.custom.conf on my system):
    Code:
    Copy to 770: /etc/vdr/encode-for-770-wrapper.sh
  • In encode-for-770.sh set $MOUNTPOINT to the place your 770 usb mass storage gets mounted to, and make sure it's mountable by vdr user.
  • Restart vdr

Usage:
  • attach 770 to USB
  • Go to VDR Recordings-menu, pick a recording, select "commands" and "Copy to 770"
  • Wait until the device is fully umounted (for movies this means hours)

The messages that are shown on VDR are currently in Finnish only, sorry (the code is commented, so they're easily translated though).

Let me know if anyone starts using this or is interested -- there's probably room for some development here.

*) VDR homepage, VDR wiki

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Espoo, Finland
Hi jussik,

I'm definitely interested in this. However, I'm just beginning to build my VDR system and I'm trying to choose the right equipment. But once I get my VDR running, I bet your script is one of the first ones I try. I think 770 is damn good mobile video player.

- Teemu

www.teemuharju.net