Active Topics

I've read through all the threads that are relevant to this problem and I am still having trouble (re-)pairing my Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard.

In this thread, winterhunter has almost the exact same problem that I am having. I had the keyboard paired with my n800 for months and then I tried pairing it to my laptop (which worked fine). When I went back to re-pairing it with the N800, pairing failed (just as winterhunter describes in post #3 to the thread). I have the device selected, the passcode is displayed, and as soon as I press the "OK" button in the dialog, I get the "Pairing Failed" popup. It gives me no time to enter the passcode.

I've tried briand's fix where I removed the directory in /var/lib/bluetooth/<MAC address>, and am still having the same problem.

I know the keyboard works, because as I said, I originally had it paired with the n800 and I can successfully re-pair it with my laptop, so the keyboard is not the problem.

So, does anyone have any other suggestions on what to try? This thing is driving me nuts!!

Well, the issue I had on my end was similar to that, but occurred on initial pairing. The passcode it's displaying isn't from the keyboard, it's from the unit. The keyboard still thinks it's paired with the laptop, but doesn't know that it's been brought back to the NIT yet. What you need to do is get the passcode the NIT gives you, then enter that on the keyboard, or in whatever way your instructions give you for initial first time pairing of the keyboard. That's how I got it to work on my end. The keyboard isn't smart enough to know two locations at the same time. Only one. So each time you move it between devices, you need to pair it all over again just like it was the first time ever doing it.

I understand all that (that it can only be paired with one device at a time). My problem is that I place the keyboard in pairing mode (Ctrl + Blue Fn + Green Fn), then go to Bluetooth Settings->Devices->New.

The N800 sees the keyboard (Think Outside Keyboard), I select it and press "OK". Then, in the "Pair with device" dialog (where the passcode is supplied, I press OK (and I know I'm now supposed to enter the passcode on the keyboard).

The problem is that as soon as I press the "OK" button, I immediately get the "Pairing Failed. Try Again?" popup. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I "try again", I get the same results (the same popup).

As I've said in my earlier post, it used to work, I just can't get it to re-pair (and no, it's no longer paired to my laptop).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

OK, I got it working again!

After digging through more threads on the forum, I found this one. in it, dwould mentioned something about the linkkeys file, which is located in /var/lib/bluetooth/<your_MAC_address>.

When I first tried to fix the problem, rather than removing the /var/lib/bluetooth/<MAC_addres> directory, I just renamed it. I then copied the old linkkeys file out of the old directory into the new one and made the edits that dwould describes (I deleted all lines but one and replaced the MAC address in that line with the MAC address of my keyboard.

I still had to go through the process of removing the device (through Bluetooth Settings) and then re-pair it.

Anyway, it's finally working again and I'll never re-pair it with my laptop again!

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ West Hills California
What helped my pairing: place keyboard several feet away.

Crazy, but true.

The Following User Says Thank You to tgalati4 For This Useful Post: