Active Topics

I've been hearing about this in increasing frequency lately and I just wanted to be sure that the OEM's (like blackberry) aren't blowing smoke when they say this. Supposedly on the latest blackberry they're claiming support for 48gb microsd, and another is claiming 64gb microsd. But they're not claiming up to 32gb sdhc, and up to 48gb SDXC, or 64gb SDXC. They're claiming 48 and 64gb SDHC!

From what I understand, the SDHC standard was cut off at 32gb. Is there something that I don't know, maybe a change in the standard limit, or are these guys just blowing smoke to sell more devices?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Much like a 4 GiB SD (nonHC) card, they're breaking the standard, so it may or may not work.

However, since the SDXC standard is pretty much just a way for Microsoft to make more money (SDXC is basically a filesystem swap), one would need to actively try to break > 32 GiB SD cards not using exFAT in order to break compatibility (or just be a sloppy coder). IMHO, of course.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
I've been hearing about this in increasing frequency lately and I just wanted to be sure that the OEM's (like blackberry) aren't blowing smoke when they say this. Supposedly on the latest blackberry they're claiming support for 48gb microsd, and another is claiming 64gb microsd. But they're not claiming up to 32gb sdhc, and up to 48gb SDXC, or 64gb SDXC. They're claiming 48 and 64gb SDHC!

From what I understand, the SDHC standard was cut off at 32gb. Is there something that I don't know, maybe a change in the standard limit, or are these guys just blowing smoke to sell more devices?
There is a post from General about this, the n900 theoretically supports way more than this, I seem to think it is just number of addressable bits on the card which is smaller on the SDHC, and will be higher on the newer cards. So nothing revolutionary..

There are 22 addressing bits available on the SDHC cards, only 16 of them are in use by 32GB cards. Any card that actually sets any of the above-16 addressing bits will work out of the box in Linux, i.e. up to 2048 GB. The kernel checks all the 22 bits, not just the 16 that are "officially" allowed (and which defines the 32GB limit).

Presumably the SDXC cards use exactly the same addressing mechanism, but they may use/support a higher frequency (for better throughput) and we already know that they standardize on a different version of the FAT filesystem.

In short, nothing[1] stops anyone from making bigger SDHC cards, and they won't get into the kind of hairy compatibility problems that the non-standard non-SDHC 4GB SD cards had.

Footnote: Nothing technical. Political etc. is another possible issue, see next poster about possible Sandisk squeeze control.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2009-09-17 at 09:14.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Now the next question is this. Since Sandisk controls the market (the SD foundation is a joke, and is only really there to benefit Sandisk), and you have to appeal to their benevolence, will they allow it? According to a bunch of the flash card makers I talked to, you can't release anything new, innovative, or larger than what Sandisk offers until they do first. So if they don't offer it first, you can offer it either. There are a few exceptions, but those are rare.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Now the next question is this. Since Sandisk controls the market (the SD foundation is a joke, and is only really there to benefit Sandisk), and you have to appeal to their benevolence, will they allow it? According to a bunch of the flash card makers I talked to, you can't release anything new, innovative, or larger than what Sandisk offers until they do first. So if they don't offer it first, you can offer it either. There are a few exceptions, but those are rare.
that sucks. Such a cruel world we live in.

Yeah, agreed. I like Sandisk, but I don't like the iron fist they have on the market. It more or less makes them the Microsoft of the flash world.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Yeah, agreed. I like Sandisk, but I don't like the iron fist they have on the market. It more or less makes them the Microsoft of the flash world.
Or the Apple equivalent!

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
http://www.mobymemory.com/products/S...-PRE-ORDER.asp

32gb micro sd pre order

A $10 retaining fee?? Ooo. That's gonna be an expensive sucker if they've got a retaining fee that high. Ouch. >.<