Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I'm new to Linux, but want to learn more. I have 2 Toshiba Tecra M2-S730 and a Tecra M3-S336 notebook PC's that I'd thrown on the trash heap, and once I find some extra laptop hard drives, I plan to install Linux and possibly Windows XP as a dual boot option. I also have a couple 4gb jump drives to experiment as boot drives as well.

I'm pretty good on the Windows tech. Here's what I need to know. What will I need on the Linux end once I get my hard drives? How do device drivers work for Linux? Will I need to find them first, or does Linux have a system to handle them seemlessly?

The biggest question of all is which Linux to use? I'm leaning towards Ubuntu because of popularity, but what do you suggest for a beginner? I'm a beginner, but not a tech neophyte. I don't think I'll be tripped up too much, and I want a distro that I can keep. Don't suggest the "My First Linux" distro that I'll want to replace once I get a little knowledge.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Ubuntu is probably the newbie-frendliest distro and usually "Just works". Try downloading and burning the live cd so you can try the driver support and install it on your HD straight from the live cd environment.

Also Ubuntu isn't "dumbed down" almost at all, so you get full linux experience with it.

Only thing I personally don't like about it is the bro... orangeish default theme of it but you can always change that

Last edited by joppu; 2009-09-22 at 07:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
I beg to differ. It like other "user friendly Desktop" distros does not contain the necessary packages to compile packages.

Puppy Linux is good for usb thumb drives.

You are going to just have to experiment to find what you like. You also need to decide if you want to use Gnome, KDE or another window manager. Distros to investigate: Ubuntu (choose manual, and don't let it allocate the whole disk), Fedora, SuSE (avoid this for now, as the installer likes to wipe out existing partitions even when you tell it not to), Sabayon, PCLinuxOS. Avoid Gentoo for now at least.

The GParted LiveCD is also quite helpful.

Don't bother installing any OS without an ethernet connection, as you will need to get online to install your wifi drivers. This has gotten better but even with Ubuntu you may need to compile madwifi drivers (Atheros-only) or linux-backports-modules-RELEASE-generic + linux-backports-modules-RELEASE in the case of Ubuntu.

Blah.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Thanks, joppu. I'm checking out this other thread here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=21992

What are the differences between Debian, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu? What is a KDE? XFCE?

For now, I want the best Linux experience for a new user. I want an intuitive interface and access to all of my hardware. If something is simple, but may not be useful after using for 6 months, needing a more advanced distro, tell me now. I prefer hard learning curve to limited capability. I'm an S60 user instead of an iPhone user for this reason, and hope you can keep that in mind...

Ubuntu is probably the best option, in terms of suitability for beginners (and advanced users) and similarity to Maemo (both are derived from Debian).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I'm checking out this other thread here [kubuntu step by step:]
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=21992

What are the differences between Debian, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu? What is a KDE? XFCE?
KDE is the desktop and window manager based on QT, so having QT is very close to Maemo and Symbian based on QT. On top of KDE are applications like KOffice (KWord, ..) just ported to Maemo 5, and the internet browser Konqueror...

I found www.wikipedia.org very good in explaining KDE, XFCE and differences between distros. Maemo and Ubuntu are Debian-based.

The Following User Says Thank You to Architengi For This Useful Post:
You guys are speaking French right now. Slow down for a second.
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
I beg to differ. It like other "user friendly Desktop" distros does not contain the necessary packages to compile packages.
Compile as in develop software? I may not do that soon, but glad to know that. Which distro are you speaking about, Ubuntu? Kubuntu?

Puppy Linux is good for usb thumb drives.
What makes it good? Please elaborate as much as possible. Why isn't Ubuntu as good for a jump drive, for instance?

You are going to just have to experiment to find what you like. You also need to decide if you want to use Gnome, KDE or another window manager.
Is Gnome, KDE, and the "window manager" a task management method or a UI type, as I'd heard before? Do they both do the same things? Which is more common in the US, Gnome or KDE? Isn't the N8xx Gnome based? Does GTK have something to do with Gnome?

Don't be scared to school me!! Give up the info, guys. I'm a knowledge whore.

Distros to investigate: Ubuntu (choose manual, and don't let it allocate the whole disk),
What do you mean "choose manual"? For the partitioning?

Fedora, SuSE (avoid this for now, as the installer likes to wipe out existing partitions even when you tell it not to), Sabayon, PCLinuxOS. Avoid Gentoo for now at least.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard of SuSE and Fedora, but why aren't they as popular as Ubuntu right now? Wondering why they've been around so long and other options are now more popular. Is it something Ubuntu has on them I should know? Talk advantages/disadvantages of the various distros as much as you can.

The GParted LiveCD is also quite helpful.

Don't bother installing any OS without an ethernet connection, as you will need to get online to install your wifi drivers.
I'll have a connected Win system on hand for access, but thanks for the heads up. Where do you go for drivers, especially for a notebook?
This has gotten better but even with Ubuntu you may need to compile madwifi drivers (Atheros-only) or linux-backports-modules-RELEASE-generic + linux-backports-modules-RELEASE in the case of Ubuntu.

Blah.
Compile is a scary word. Sounds like build or cook, two things I do well in English, but I don't speak Linux yet. I don't even know what on Mars you just said, but I promise not to forget.

Debian is a "core" distro, many are derived from it such as Ubuntu and Knoppix, as well as OS200X. Debian is for advanced users. Stick with Ubuntu (but know that certain parts treat you like a baby, sudo, disabled root login, etc.)

Ubuntu uses Gnome window manager by default, there are some complicated behind-the-scenes differences but for what you need to know:

Gnome

KDE (comes with Kubuntu by default)

XFCE (comes with Xubuntu)

xfce is lighter than the other two, but you will probably still need the GTK and QT libraries.

Personal preference, really. I prefer Gnome but that's just my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._distributions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...p_environments

KDE and GNOME are written almost completely on special software libraries Qt and GTK+ respectively.[4] This usually means that virtually every component of the desktop environment including the file manager explicitly depends on that library for its functioning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(toolkit)

The Following User Says Thank You to Architengi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
KDE is the desktop and window manager based on QT, so having QT is very close to Maemo and Symbian based on QT. On top of KDE are applications like KOffice (KWord, ..) just ported to Maemo 5, and the internet browser Konqueror...
Cool! So most of the guys here probably are KDE users? And having a KDE based distro means I get all the KOffice apps too?

I never wondered about this, but I use Firefox, Maxthon, and IE for web browsing. Is there a competitive browser for Linux? Is it better, competitive, or "close, but not there yet"? Basically, what's the best browser for Linux? Does which distro I use decide which apps I can install?

I found www.wikipedia.org very good in explaining KDE, XFCE and differences between distros. Maemo and Ubuntu are Debian-based.
Aaargh! I know you're right, too, bro. (hope you're a guy. If not, sorry if I offended) That was like my mother telling me to "look it up" after I ask what something meant as a kid. I'm just sick of reading Wikipedia so much lately. Linux is half of wikipedia, from what I've seen. LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post: