Active Topics

Hey guys,

I like to ask some questions to the Maemo Community and the Nokia personnel around here that work on the N900.

So here we go:

1. MMS will not be available from the beginning, possible due to the Linux/WAP kernel issue. But I need a CLEAR answer if MMS will come in the near future or not.
2. SMS Delivery Reports. Does the device support them? If not, are they coming?
3. Does a Birthday/Anniversaries entries from the Contacts gets display on Calendar?
4. Video Call. When the device will support Video Call over network? Also can we expect VoIP Video Call using Skype, Google Talk etc.?
5. What are the changes to see full vertical support for the whole menu and home-screens with a "Maemo 5.5" or any other similar update?

Last edited by nMIK-3; 2009-09-23 at 07:35.

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
3. Does a Birthday/Anniversaries entries from the Contacts gets display on Calendar?
this has already been answered in the maemo 5 contacts / address book thread, found by searching for "contacts birthday calendar".

the answer is apparently yes, birthday entries from the contacts gets displayed on the calendar.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edgar2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Hey guys,

I like to ask some questions to the Maemo Community and the Nokia personnel around here that work on the N900.

So here we go:

1. MMS will not be available from the beginning, possible due to the Linux/WAP kernel issue. But I need a CLEAR answer if MMS will come in the near future or not.
4. Video Call. When the device will support Video Call over network? Also can we expect VoIP Video Call using Skype, Google Talk etc.?
5. What are the changes to see full vertical support for the whole menu and home-screens with a "Maemo 5.5" or any other similar update?
1. There isn't a clear answer.
2. The people who know that are probably under NDA.
3. Looks like someone already answered.
4. There likely won't be any artificial restrictions on which apps can use which network connection. In Maemo4 we saw SIP Video and Gizmo Video, but not Skype. On Maemo5 we can assume at the very least SIP Video, but other than that, it's not clear yet. With that kind of power and the availability of GTalk video on the linux desktop the only thing that I'm not sure about happening eventually is Skype.
5. Unknown

-John
(doesn't work at Nokia)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Italy
4. Video Call. When the device will support Video Call over network?
Mmm but at now, the N900 does not support video call over network???

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
Originally Posted by Deedend View Post
Mmm but at now, the N900 does not support video call over network???
both internal cameras seem to be supported using V4L2 drivers, so I don't really see a reason, why it wouldn't work..

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
Hey guys,

1) mms specifications are (afaik) public, so it is possible to create a completely new own app for MMS messaging. There also is a open-source implementation of a mms server, so......... ( http://mbuni.org/ )

2) I think sms delivery was doable (at least with my operator) also with mobile phones not supporting it - by sending the message to a number in form *some_prefix#original_number (don't know the format exactly). Maybe also setting some bit in the sms packet is enough.. And as we have open source, I think this is also just a matter of software..

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey guys,

So here we go:

1. Nothing has officially been announced yet regarding MMS support. Mumblings of it happening later from a few Nokia people, but until someone officially announces it as coming... not much can be done.
2. I have no idea what that means whatsoever, sorry.
3. Yes.
4. Yes, over Google Talk (if both clients support the same codecs/protocols)
5. Only those with direct access to the code can answer that question with the kind of accuracy you're asking for.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
2) Think of it as a delivery receipt (since that's what it is). When an SMS is delivered to the destination phone you get a special message type back telling you that it was delivered. Very useful.

as for question 4, when the OP repeated the question twice, I suspect he really wants to know whether n900 supports 3G video calls over cellular, not internet. (though both probably use IP?)

Hey guys,

So here we go:

For me Video Skype would be the killer application for the N900. If they miss this oportunutiy to be "ahead" in this area, then that would be sad.

The Following User Says Thank You to RJ45 For This Useful Post: