Hey folks,

I am planning to buy an N900 and use it on T-Mobile and I was wondering if I should go with a month to month pay as you go deal or get a contract and subsidized phone. Generally, I would go with month to month, because why be in a contact if I don't have to be, but since I'm not planning on living outside the states for the next couple years, a friend suggested that I should get a contract along with a free and easy to unlock phone which I could then sell off.

I hope y'all can advise which path to take, and also if there is concensus on getting a contract, which phone I should opt for (easy to unlock + resell value being the most important factors in that regard).

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I don't think you can get a data add-on plan on pre-paid.

However, since you are using it on an unlocked phone, maybe the included t-zones will work. I would search Howard Forums or a site like that to see if people have been able to get full internet using pay as you go with an unlocked phone. My guess is probably not. Even if it does work for general browsing, you won't be able to use it for some things like HTTPS, IM, etc without some hacking...

You can get a data plan with pre-paid for T-Mobile in the U.S. It only costs $15 to attach it to a flex-pay account. It's exactly the month-to-month you're thinking of. You pay in advance and then you get what you paid for, then it just shuts off if you don't pay the next month.

As far as the subsidies go, I personally wouldn't want to get locked into another contract with anything, ever. I thought I was going to live in the U.S. for at least 2 years with my AT&T phone and then 3 months later I'm making plans to move to Germany. Life is always unpredictable, therefore I think it would be best if you didn't tie yourself down with unnecessary strings.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I suggest getting a contract. Once you're on contract in good standing with TMobile USA for 24 months, you're eligible for the loyalty plan, which is one phone with unlimited calls for $50 a month or two for $95. Just add data and messaging, and the price is unbeatable. You can't get that on a month to month.