Posts: 17 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Tampa, FL
I can pair my n810 to my friend's Blackberry, but THEN what? What can I actually DO with this bluetooth connection? What is it FOR??

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Google says: http://www.google.com/search?q=bluet...rlz=1I7GFRC_en

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
You can use it to transfer files between the two devices. If the blackberry has the required data plan and bluetooth profiles, you can use the blackberry as a modem for your n810 if you don't have access to a wireless connection.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by Thinkbolt View Post
I can pair my n810 to my friend's Blackberry, but THEN what? What can I actually DO with this bluetooth connection? What is it FOR??
In the old days, bluetooth was used to copy video and high res photos from our cell phones to our internet tablets. Today, no cell is needed at all. Besides making phone calls, the Nokia N900 takes better video and pictures than most cells phones!

I do the following with bluetooth on my N810:

Tether to BlackBerry with data plan for internet anywhere. (I also connect to a desktop PC where I have no WiFi.)

With PhoneLink, I can connect to my Razr phone to send/receive SMS messages, but I just use google voice for that now. I can also use that connection to dial a number via the Razr.

I send pictures taken on my Razr to the N810 via BT.

Not related to phones, but I have a BT stereo (A2DP) headset which I use with mplayer to watch video.

Also not phone related, but with BlueMaemo, my N810 can function as a BT keyboard and mouse for any other computer.

The Following User Says Thank You to wklink For This Useful Post:
You can also use http://blueproximity.sourceforge.net/ on a host computer to lock a laptop's screen, change IM status, etc. Bluetooth's main purpose is for audio, however, file transfer works fine. Tethering works fine. Bluetooth keyboards work fine. There is a bluetooth joystick that [kinda] works with the tablets. You can do VNC over bluetooth if you so desire (pc connect manager)

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Bluetooth is basically a serial cable to connect devices wirelessly within a short range. There are several standardized profiles for connection types.

E.g. to connect headsets, networking, file transfer, input devices such as keyboard, mouse, game pads, etc.
Not all devices support all profiles though.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Things I currently do with bluetooth:
  • Connect a mouse, keyboard, GPS to a notebook
  • Connect a ODB-II reader from my car to Carman on my N810
  • Connect a keyboard to my N810
  • Connect my N82 to my notebook for PIM synchronisation
  • Connect my headset to my mobile phone to listen to music
  • Connect my headset to a BT transmitter connected to my tv to listen TV

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Yep, all of the above, and you can also keep the company phone list in a .vcard file and bluetooth it over to your co-workers whenever they come with a new phone (which they do all the time..), and your friends with phones with nice cameras but tiny screens can bluetooth their pictures over to your N8x0 ("hey look, he's got a widescreen!" -- as I heard once).

And, for the cases I added above, there's no need to pair the devices. Just select and send.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Thinkbolt View Post
Wikipedia says...

Bluetooth is an open wireless protocol for exchanging data over short distances from fixed and mobile devices, creating personal area networks (PANs). It was originally conceived as a wireless alternative to RS232 data cables. It can connect several devices, overcoming problems of synchronization.
The examples given here use BlueTooth profiles. Every BlueTooth device supports at least one BlueTooth profile.