Notices

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
Hi folks,

I use my laptop quite a lot to watch sports on sopcast and tvu etc, would anyone know if the N900 would be able to run these applications.

Certainly not a deal breaker would just like to know in advance.

Thanks

One could be made for maemo5.. theres a sopcast client for linux already, just needs a frontend designed for the n900.

Aka, an interested developer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vodrin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Sopcast, tvants and tvu are awesome apps for live TV, i used to use them on windows,
i never knew there was linux versions, it would be great if we got one of them on Maemo.

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-09-28 at 01:02.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia, USA
Would a port even be necessary? (I confess I am not so advanced in my comp sci studies). It looks like the sp-sc-auth file from sopcast actually collects the stream, which feeds into mplayer or vlc. Both mplayer and vlc are ported to Maemo (correct?), althought I believe mplayer is more functional at this point.

There is a gui project on google code which seems to bind the streams to vlc using python. In the vlc thread there seems to be some discussion on the advantages of mplayer over vlc on maemo.

I never could get sopcast working on Ubuntu. But there apparently is a "GTK-sopcast" that might be even better than what is available via sopcast.com

(Possibly this should move to another forum, as this is more Maemo specific than N900?)

The Following User Says Thank You to ogahyellow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
Thing is..... i am not that great at the old tech language, i'm just a guy that has fallen for the N900 like a lovestruck teenager.

Maybe there is a google translate page that could help if things get too technical for me on an other forum lol.

Appreciate the input so far guys cheers

Last edited by Nitchers; 2009-09-28 at 03:08.

The problem is sp-auth as it's closed source and only available for the x86 architecture. At least I wasn't able to find a source looking on the web.

Other than that sopcast-player and gtk-sopcast, could be compiled for the N900. But sp-auth isn't gonna run unless recompiled for armel...

Unless you find the source somewhere, which doesn't look possible, as it seems to be some shady Chinese programming, no luck...

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
Of note, there is a Linux version of TVU could that be ported?

Link to source

The Following User Says Thank You to Duffer For This Useful Post:
sopcast uses very little CPU, so I thought it was a great example for qemu-i386 (which allows running x86 linux binaries on arm linux by emulation) usage. It is possible to run sopcast, but it stops very early, after not managing to connect to the server. I believe it is a qemu problem, as it happens also when I try to run qemu-i386 on x86 systems. I did not really try to debug any further, so it is quite probable that it is some simple issue.

In short - get sopcast to run with qemu-i386 on your linux desktop, after that it will probably work on your tablet as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
What is the exact command line you were passing to sp-sc via qemu-i386?

Sopcast (and/or TVU and TVAnts) would be amazing to have on the N900. Excuse my ignorance but would the usual 350-500 odd kbps on sopcast streams (at least the ones I use) be conceivably doable over 3g, or would wifi be needed?

While typing that I just realised that watching one football match would put you over most provider's monthly fair usage policy for mobile internet but would still be interested to know if it is possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kamikaze For This Useful Post: