Active Topics

Hi there, i've seen so many screenshots and videos about the panoramic desktop, and the widgets and icons always were aligned anywhere... is there an option to align widgets on a scalable grid?

I am a fan of symmetry, and i think im not the only one.

;-)

Last edited by Rotkaeqpchen; 2009-09-29 at 15:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rotkaeqpchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by Rotkaeqpchen View Post
Hi there, i've seen so many screenshots and videos about the panoramic desktop, and the widgets and icons always were aligned anywhere... is there an option to align widgets on a scalable grid?

I am a fan of symmetry, and i think im not the only one.

;-)
This is another "wait and see" moment. I.e., none of us will know until the final version is released.

Tim

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
No, sorry, no such option. But you can do it by yourself, visually. If it's one pixel off, it can be your little secret between you and you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
This is another "wait and see" moment. I.e., none of us will know until the final version is released.

"I hate waiting."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I agree with the OP. Although free placement is sometimes useful, it would also sometimes be useful to snap icons to a grid. For example, on the Windows desktop Microsoft changed the default from Windows 2000 and earlier of free placement to align to a grid in Windows XP and later, presumably due to usability testing telling them that people preferred the cleaner look. Obviously things might be harder on Maemo 5 due to widgets being different sizes...

Last edited by pelago; 2009-09-29 at 21:53.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I agree with the OP. Although free placement is sometimes useful, it would also sometimes be useful to snap icons to a grid. For example, on the Windows desktop Microsoft changed the default from Windows 200 and earlier of free placement to align to a grid in Windows XP and later, presumably due to usability testing telling them that people preferred the cleaner look. Obviously things might be harder on Maemo 5 due to widgets being different sizes...
In one case you have icons of similar size (lots of them), in the other case you have a small number of elements of very different sizes in a small space. Those are very different circumstances.

The OSX dashboard doesn't have a grid by the way, and it's more comparable.

If you want to align a large number of bookmarks, contacts, or shortcuts, what you can do is to just add them one after another, which will automatically align them in a nice pattern. Moving a widget to another homescreen does the same thing. With a bit of patience, you can probably use this trick to get any layout you want, by filling some space with other widgets (as the moved or added widget will align itself neatly wherever there is enough free space).

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The osx desktop have an option to clean up/align the icons even though they don't automatically snap onto grids when you move em around.

Maybe a similar option for Maemo 5 desktop?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Im definitely for having a snap to grid option.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Definately something I'd find useful.

Yes, it would be very useful, ... especially when i can define a grid size, for example 5, 10, 20, 30 and 50 pixels.