Active Topics

Notices

So far I've played Nethack on my N810 (my pathetic high-score is 1700...) and am looking for other RPGs that I could run. Any suggestions?

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
It's more of a TBSG, but has anyone ported Wesnoth?

You can always install a gameboy emulator with some Zelda games... (legally though you have to own the games you want to emulate, if I recall correctly)

The Following User Says Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by proberts View Post
It's more of a TBSG, but has anyone ported Wesnoth?
yes, wesnoth is ported and actually runs really well.

Nethack? My drug of choice was Dungeon Crawl stone soup... I didn't even know they had nethack on the n810. Dungeon Crawl is so much better though, it's actually playable.

The Following User Says Thank You to q335r49 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by q335r49 View Post
Nethack? My drug of choice was Dungeon Crawl stone soup... I didn't even know they had nethack on the n810. Dungeon Crawl is so much better though, it's actually playable.

yeah, nethack is available for the N800/N810 and it runs well.
i checked up on Dungeon crawl (http://crawl-ref.sourceforge.net/) and that looks like fun - even has the ability to play online with others.

Did a version of this get ported to N810 and/or would i be able to run it all through dosbox?

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by slartibart View Post
So far I've played Nethack on my N810 (my pathetic high-score is 1700...) and am looking for other RPGs that I could run. Any suggestions?
I knew you didn't mean Rocket-Propelled Grenades, but that is what I immediately thought of.

You could always play the classic text adventures, using DOSbox. I played them on my Amiga. Best ones I played were the ones from Magnetic Scrolls (The Pawn, Guild of Thieves, etc) and Infocom, like The Lurking Horror, and many others, including the Zork series (which I did not enjoy so much). There was also The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which you surely would like, Slartibart.

I'm surprised you're having trouble finding it. I got it through the usual installation methods ... I think you might have to add a certain depository or something? Sorry I can't be more helpful.

But man, I loved dungeon crawl, even though it was crack. I think about 80% of my time on the n810 (before the screen went bad) was spent playing dungeon crawl :-[. The great thing about dungeon crawl is that you can play it without using spoilers, unlike that horrible "game" nethack. I think the only spoiler that was somewhat necessary was the God spoiler, since the divine favors are somewhat random and hard to figure out. A general knowledge of proficiencies and how experience is calculated was helpful in planning out a character long term. (Minotaurs are bad at spellcasting, receive only 70% of the experience, etc.) But all the proficiencies can be accessed during the game (i think, "a" for abilities, and then "!" for proficiencies or something?), so that's not really a spoiler.

But the game is huuuuge. I think there's a main dungeon and then about 7 or 8 enormous sub-dungeons. A lot bigger than nethack.

Oh ... and if you ever end up in the abyss... don't stay and fight, but run until you find the gateway out. i think that's the only thing that I thought was somewhat unfair. Otherwise, I think it was mostly my stupidity that got me killed, time after time, after being in a coma because I played for like 8 hours straight. I remember my elven ice mage dying to a summoned executioner (a gray "1", killed me extra fast because of intrinsic haste), when I had about 5 teleport scrolls remaining, and i was genuinely traumatized for the rest of the day.

But, man, that's an awesome game.

ah, i found something named 'Crawl'. seems like it can o ly be run from x-term with the screen minimized.
trying it now hoping thats the one

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Visit this thread for Crawl:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ighlight=crawl

Nethack is best played on Telnet in my opinion.

Ancient Domain of Mystery (my favorite) has a server that you can SSH to with very little trouble.

Best advice is to look into Javispedro's excellent Drnoksnes emulator.

His Super Nintendo emulator has a fierce kick and bite to it that you wouldn't expect the tablet to handle.