I am surprised this issue hasn't attracted more attention. I've seen several reports now that the phone does not accept 3 mobile SIMS.

Surely, this is a crucial question - 3 mobile has some of the best coverage and PAYG data rates in the UK. I'm posting this in a separate thread as the other UK networks one seems primarily occupied with t-mobile questions.

There is apparently a bug report filed, https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5315. Although this is marked as "critical", priority is given as "low", and I'm not sure how much credence these fields have in terms of a fix being delivered.

Anyone out there with a unit, or official knowledge, know whether the phone works successfully on 3? Sadly if I can't get a reasonably convincing answer to this question, then I will have to cancel my pre-order pretty quickly as I do not wish to run it on the other networks. Never mind, I still have my trusty N800!

Many thanks for any info,
spann

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spann For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Strange, never heard of problem like this before. I thought that SIM was pretty much universal standard.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Tamworth, UK
i was in the local 3 shop last week asking if the n900 was coming to 3 and they also said there sims would not work only for voice and text no data connection did not think much about it as he was trying to get me to upgrade to n97 as my contract ends soon but preordered on t mobile now anyway.

By the way hi to everyone

Last edited by erayzer; 2009-10-15 at 13:52.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I couldn't get a 3 PAYG SIM Card to work on data with my LG phone. I think they actively try to lock out data connections to phones that aren't on contract with 3.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

However, the last post absolutely is not true. I have run various 3 PAYG SIMs on my unlocked, contract-free N79 and other nokia phones for the last couple of years, with full data access available.

I am surprised that so many people have been seduced by the t mobile offer. IMO 3 offer better data coverage, and on PAYG at least, better rates.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Tamworth, UK
T mobile coverage is good at home and work for me but i seem to remember reading somewhere about an agreement between T mobile and 3 about using 3 masts to extend 3g coverage do not know how true that is.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
i am using 3 on my n95 when in europe... 3 definately has amazing and flexible payg data tarifs. thanks @spann for pointing out that 3 will not work on the n900 this might be a deal breaker for me

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
THAT is a deal breaker for me, as 3 is my personal and company chosen operator.

hmmmm...had my N900 on pre-order since way back...but W/O data access what is the use for an N900

cannot really understand why this issue is a LOW priority bug.

As per the bug 3 SIMs are rejected and you cannot make any
connection either voice or data. Of course this is with the
pre-production n900 and can only assume that it will be fixed
for production.

My personal theory is that it is rejecting the SIM because it
is 3G-only whereas all other networks support mixed 2G/3G
operation. But then it's only a theory.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I also have 3 but am subscribed in Sweden. I received a N900 on loan at the summit. My 3 SIM card does not work. I spoke with people at the summit and they said this was a known issue.

Hopefully it will be fixed, but in the meantime I think one has to switch away from 3 or use another device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeremiah For This Useful Post: