Active Topics

I apologize if this should have been posted elsewhere..... please move it if need be.

So I was just thinking about the 6 direction accelerometer and although I do not have the greatest conception of how it works, I had a thought.

Although quake looks perfectly playable, I was thinking that it would be great to use the accelerometer as a method of panning/looking around rather than movement, almost like augmented reality with Android apps.

So essentially you tilt toward or away to look up or down, left or right to turn left or right.... etc.

So this could even be implemented with varying sensitivity for web browsing and other 2d tasks.

But this is where I went really crazy....

Could you mount the n900 in front of your eyes, or perhaps just flat on top of your head with tv out going to a tv and tilt your head to control where you are looking (what's on the screen or tv)?

then you could use a zeemote for the controls and movement forward or strafing and shooting or editing the huge picture you're editing or whatever.

I know it is insanely dorky to think about wearing the N900 strapped to your head.... but..... couldn't it be fun?

So picture this..... you've connected your N900 to the tv, strapped it flat on top of your head (accessory helmet or w/e ) and you have your zeemote in hand. to look down you tilt your head forward, up backward, turn left or right blah blah blah. Move the actual character with the control stick and shoot.

Am I just totally insane? (I blame the lack of a solid release date)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NSchuyler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
crazy, but i like twisted ideas

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Missouri
Doesn't sound all that crazy, but one problem might be having a comfortable view of the tv while moving your head around.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by kopele View Post
Doesn't sound all that crazy, but one problem might be having a comfortable view of the tv while moving your head around.
http://images.google.de/images?hl=de...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Great idea. What about the following:

If you look into the HTML source of this very forum, on everything that has more than one pages (a thread, a list of threads,...) the link "Next" is done as:
Code:
<a rel="next" href="forumdisplay.php?f=44&amp;order=desc&amp;page=2" title="Next Page - Results 21 to 40 of 450">Next &gt;</a>
Note the
Code:
rel="next"
at the beginning. It has a defined meaning; there's similar "rel"-values for the previous page (used in this forum, too), for up, table of contents, etc. etc.

Opera shows them in an additional navigation bar; Firefox needs a plug-in, but it works.

What if a plug-in for either MicroB or some other browser on the N900 would map at least "next", "previous" and "up" (or maybe "home") to movements to the right/left/forward?

Browsing forward through a thread here by tilting the device instead of tapping on a link would be cool. (It would also mean you could activate this action without bringing the actual link into the visible area.)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Missouri
That'll work

As far as I am aware this would only work if the N900 had both an accelerometer and a digital compass

The Following User Says Thank You to Kamikaze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
kamikaze,
the wiimote doesnt have a compass afaik
we just need a sensor bar for orientation.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
As far as I am aware this would only work if the N900 had both an accelerometer and a digital compass
no need for digital compass...
(does the wiimote have a digital compass??)
the camera on the back could assist but it is not needed.

edit: lcuk was faster...

Sorry, my knowledge of these things is very limited, but without a digital compass how would turning your head (and the phone) to the left and right make the character in the game look left and right?