Active Topics

My question is whether or not this is currently relevant in the marketing of devices such as the N900?

Should Nokia have gone with a capacitive touch screen and if so why?

Both touch screen methods have gone a long way so is my question even relevant?

Thanks for your answers. Just wondering...

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
boring topic and been debated 100 times already

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by GunnerzMate View Post
My question is whether or not this is currently relevant in the marketing of devices such as the N900?

Should Nokia have gone with a capacitive touch screen and if so why?

Both touch screen methods have gone a long way so is my question even relevant?

Thanks for your answers. Just wondering...
If you search for capacitive resistive on this forum you'll find not only threads about these topics you'll even find your questions answered by various regulars with know-how, from various angles, because its quite subjective after all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
i tried the iPhone last week and focussing on the capacitive screen.

feels like painting a monet with a mop (such a thing to wet-clean the floor with)

The Following User Says Thank You to r0eladn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I find the iPod Touch far too sensitive to touches due to capacitive. While resistive can seem slightly insensitive overall I find that preferable to it picking up me holding the device as a touch, which happens to me all the time on the iPod.

That is doubly so when you use a stylus. Yes you can use a stylus on capacitive but its just as likely to pickup your hand resting on the screen while you try to get a comfortable position to hold the device for using a stylus. Resistive means your fingers can slightly rest on the screen allowing you to hold it easier on one hand while drawing/tapping with the stylus in the other.

Also, grease from your fingers WILL disrupt capacitive sooner or later. I find myself having to wipe the screen too often on the iPod because its stopped responding yet it doesn't look dirty. With resistive it doesn't matter how dirty it is or your hand is, you can still operate it. Not to mention the old "when wearing gloves" argument or "using any implement that exerts pressure".

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2009-10-26 at 21:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
oh no, please not again...

Close this thread, endless debates that will never end till Nokia develops a multitouch resistive, stylus usable screen...

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Nokia just filed a resistive multi-touch patent. Can't remember which gadget or cell phone website i saw that on.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
The debate should be Finger or Finger AND Stylus

MIke C

Tags
capacative, resistive, touch screen, use the search button