Active Topics

Hi everyone, first post and new registrant here.

I'm planning on purchasing the N900 when it becomes available in the US and use it in Canada. Would just like to know how the speeds are using the Edge network that AT&T provides.

Currently in Canada windmobile will be on the same frequency as the T-Mobile network, but have hit a snag in terms of not getting the go ahead from the federal government to commence operations because of ownership restrictions placed on foreign entities.

Question: Should I still get the phone? Or wait until windmobile launches a suitable service? That could by mid next year, and depends on how the House of Commons deal with things in Ottawa. Anybody on the Rogers data? Should I just use the phone's websurfing features on a wireless connection until windmobile fixes their mess?

Just a little history of myself, I'm one of those guys who'll have a hard time giving up my N95, I love my phone, that phone revolutionized the industry, I was waiting for another revolution, MAEMO and its new N900 I believe is the new revolution. iphone is a toy IMHO. N97 wasn't appealing. There are plenty of guys out there who are in the same boat as I am.

Last question: Will Flashplayer 10.1 be on a firmware update in the next year? And if one of genius' can do a sopcast player application for the n900, it would be really appreciated

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I've been using the N900 on Rogers for the past 2 months or so. It's decent enough, I guess... unless you're really really used to 3G speeds for everything. Hard to really tell you what to do, honestly. Works fine for me though and I'm happy enough as is... just don't expect to be streaming a bunch of internet radio or anything like that (or Skype even).

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Hi Diavoli, welcome to the community! There's an older thread you might want to check out, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31192
It should cover most of what you need regarding the network options. No idea about the Flash 10 update, but it would be nice.

Honestly I'd really like to use it for streaming some radio stations I don't get in Canada as well as streaming from ninja video and other websites. I've never been much on downloading and keeping video files in my phone or desktop even, because once I've seen something once, I usually never watch it again. So for me its all about the stream factor. That's why flashplayer is important to me.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Diavoli View Post
Honestly I'd really like to use it for streaming some radio stations I don't get in Canada as well as streaming from ninja video and other websites. I've never been much on downloading and keeping video files in my phone or desktop even, because once I've seen something once, I usually never watch it again. So for me its all about the stream factor. That's why flashplayer is important to me.
Unless you're on 3G, I would pretty much say your streaming experience is going to suck.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
canada, flashplayer, n900, rogers, sopcast