Hello,

like many other people i have the interest in playing ogg files with a
gstreamer enabled application. It would be too simple to play all music files with one music-player

So i recompiled the gstreamer sources with ogg vorbis support...
...installed the new packages on my Nokia770 and normal sound still worked ( ) and gstreamer recognised the new libs without complaining (gst-inspect).
Then i tried to play a ogg file with the build in music player (i had to adapt the mime types), but without success!

The easiest way to test whether the new ogg libs are working or not was to use gst-lauch. And it worked!!! i could convert a wav into an ogg an play an ogg directly...

Code:
 gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location="test.ogg" ! oggdemux ! vorbisdec ! audioconvert ! dsppcmsink
BUT... the cpu-usage was damn high so that playback wasn't really acceptable

It seems that the only way of getting usable ogg (gstreamer) support is to compile a new dspoggsink lib (so that the dsp hardware could do this stuff)!

Does somebody know if sources of the dsp system exist? are the used dsp libs (like dspmp3sink) opensource?

Greetings...
N770-Freak

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
What about the existing Ogg Vorbis Player http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Applicati...949d51d3287b10

Or what about this quote from Visa Smolander with regard to Media Streamer developments in the www.maemo.org garage section?

Check the instructions in:

http://www.maemo.org/platform/docs/m...d.html#plugins

I followed the steps, and now my Media streamer can play Ogg/Vorbis.
Apologies if this information is of little additional use and/or is un-related to your overall question.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Make sure that you use fixed point vorbis decoder implementation (tremor), also compile it with proper options (it has some arm assembly in it) and use good gcc optimization settings includion -mcpu. Unless gstreamer screws everything up and adds some unexpected overhead, it should work quite fast and provide reasonable performance.

Originally Posted by MikeL
What about the existing Ogg Vorbis Player
I used this programm some time ago and its not that bad. BUT one player for only one audio format? I think It's better to have a all in one solution (for audio playing).

Or what about this quote from Visa Smolander with regard to Media Streamer developments in the garage section?
That's great! I didn't knew that someone wrote such a guide!!!
I followed the instructions and copied the libs to my Nokia and gst-launch works great with tremor. But although i followed all (!) instructions the build-in media player does not like my ogg files ;(
It says: "Wiedergabefehler"
But the gconf-entry seems to be right!?

Apologies if this information is of little additional use and/or is un-related to your overall question.
It answers not my main question, but it offers a good solution to my problem until nokia releases a dspogg lib.

Originally Posted by Serge
Make sure that you use fixed point vorbis decoder implementation (tremor), also compile it with proper options (it has some arm assembly in it) and use good gcc optimization settings includion -mcpu. Unless gstreamer screws everything up and adds some unexpected overhead, it should work quite fast and provide reasonable performance.
Thanks for this hint!

Greetings...
N770-Freak

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by N770-Freak
I used this programm some time ago and its not that bad. BUT one player for only one audio format? I think It's better to have a all in one solution (for audio playing).
I followed the instructions and copied the libs to my Nokia and gst-launch works great with tremor. But although i followed all (!) instructions the build-in media player does not like my ogg files ;(
It says: "Wiedergabefehler"
But the gconf-entry seems to be right!?
You might want to talk to some of the devs of the maemo-recorder app on their maemo page to get some ideas as they just seemed to add some mime-type handlers for the WAV file format.

I hope that you package up your work in the end as I would love to have one player do all my audio too.

Originally Posted by mwiktowy
I hope that you package up your work in the end as I would love to have one player do all my audio too.
Me too. I'm happy to help with the packaging, once you've got all the binaries and gconf stuff sorted.

- Neil

Originally Posted by neiljerram
Me too. I'm happy to help with the packaging, once you've got all the binaries and gconf stuff sorted.
I think packaging is no problem! But first we need to get the player working ;(

Btw. packaging should be done properly. I made a bad experience in the past with the maemo-recorder (after deinstalling the package the whole mime stuff was damaged!)

short status feedback:

I've installed gstreamer with debug mode and evaluated the output.
The ogg file isn't handled like the gconf entry's default. The gconf entry
gives the rule to demux,decode ogg files with tremor and to use the dsppcmsink.
But the osso-media-server grabs the ogg file and connects it to "ivorbisfile" (it doesn't even load the dsppcmsink).

So I have tried to manipulate other gconf entries that belong to the
osso-media-server but with no success. Theoretically it should be possible
to disable/break mp3 playback (for example) with a broken x-id3 entry in
the gconf?! But every manipulation of the gconf seems to have no effect
to the osso-media-server!

Has someone more experience with the gconf (and perhaps the osso-media-server)???
Is that right that the gconf only uses the entries in /etc/gconf and /etc/osso-af-init/gconf-dir ???
What is the difference between "--install-schema-file" and "--makefile-install-rule" ???
I need some help at this point!!!

Greetings
N770-Freak

another status update:

osso-music-player plays my ogg files
Ok, more precise:
I recompiled gst-plugins-bad-cvs against the gstreamer-cvs (before i used an older cvs version of the gst-plugins-bad because of a version incompatibility with the gstreamer version, but an adaption of the configure script was all i had to do) and now the osso-music-player plays my oggs with ca. 20% cpu usage!

BUT at the moment i am not able to jump in the music stream. The player doesn't show the playtime of the ogg files... mmmh ...

Today i will do some more testing and will build a package!

Then i need someone who has some internet space where i can put
this stuff. (I don't want to upload this to rapidshare or some similar upload center)

Greetings...
N770-Freak

Originally Posted by N770-Freak
osso-music-player plays my ogg files
Woo-hoo! Well done.

Today i will do some more testing and will build a package!

Then i need someone who has some internet space where i can put
this stuff. (I don't want to upload this to rapidshare or some similar upload center)
How about maemo garage? You have to register and create a project, but that doesn't take too long.

- Neil