Active Topics

The extras-devel repository updating for Diablo has been down now for about a week. I first noticed it down on Sunday and since Tuesday I have tried to get someone at Maemo.org interested and fixing this problem with no luck. It is clear that the people who run maemo.org don't have the people, time or motivation anymore to support Diablo and Chinook. I therefore propose that Chinook and Diablo be shut down. Those of us who still develop for these can then move on to other projects elsewhere.

Either fix Diablo extras-devel or SHUT IT DOWN.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Forsberg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Whoa whoa whoa... I agree, I'm equally ticked off that my app isn't making int to extras-devel, especially since I spent a few days after first developing and uploading it tearing my hair out trying to figure out what I'd mysteriously done wrong to make my package build ok but fail to move!

That being said, we need to remember that Maemo.org is a community controlled site, and with the exception of some lucky testers and a few very quick shipments to some the majority of the community is still running on Diablo-only hardware... so I don't see dropping support for Diablo extras making any sense at all, especially from Maemo.org's point of view.

The better question would be who's in charge of this and how come nobody's been able to resolve it. The other threads/information I've been able to find indicate that there's one person somewhere who has the power to fix things but who was sick or on vacation or something for the last week or so, so that's probably why we're still sitting in limbo. It'd be nice to get an actual answer from somebody with some authority/actual control over things though...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bruce Forsberg View Post
The extras-devel repository updating for Diablo has been down now for about a week. I first noticed it down on Sunday and since Tuesday I have tried to get someone at Maemo.org interested and fixing this problem with no luck. It is clear that the people who run maemo.org don't have the people, time or motivation anymore to support Diablo and Chinook. I therefore propose that Chinook and Diablo be shut down. Those of us who still develop for these can then move on to other projects elsewhere.

Either fix Diablo extras-devel or SHUT IT DOWN.
i'm sure this won't hurt n900 sales...

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
i'm sure this won't hurt n900 sales...
It merely reflects Nokia's attitude towards last year's customers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Wasn't there a thread about renaming "Extras" to "Applications" or some such? Could that be happening?

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Good question though - who is in charge for fixing/communicating about it?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Good question though - who is in charge for fixing/communicating about it?
My bad... I read Bruce's post as the repository was down.
The repository is fine. Or at least it can be accessed for downloads from where I am.

What I now believe Bruce meant is for uploads.

Are using Extras Assistant or via SSH directly?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I think there was/is an issue re uploads to extras-devel both Fremantle/Diablo/Chinook. Bruce is attaching a whole conspiracy to a simple technical error.

Talk to your debmaster or the temporary guy in charge when X-Fade is on a well deserved holiday. Report a bug. Mail to maemo-developers list.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Wasn't there a thread about renaming "Extras" to "Applications" or some such? Could that be happening?
"maemo.org Extras" to be renamed "maemo.org Applications" (although the latest is just to call it "maemo.org"). Nothing to do with Bruce's problem, though.
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
It merely reflects Nokia's attitude towards last year's customers.
Is the running of the maemo.org repository anything to do with Nokia? (Genuine question).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6122 and https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6113 might be related.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post: