Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I just gazed through the wiki and realized that I've gone blind to what is essential and what isn't. And when I say everybody, it really means everybody. No matter are you experienced or beginner or whatever. Every opinion is valuable now just before n900s hit the shops.

Now I'd like to ask everybody to go to:

1. http://wiki.maemo.org/New_users

2. http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_basics

just surf around a while (make notes if you have as good memory that I have ) and after that answer a couple of questions or give other improvement ideas.

Most important points are for example:
-Is every necessary piece of information available?
--If not, what is missing?

-Does everything make sense?
--If not, what is the problem?

-Other observations?

If you want to, there is no need to answer if you edit wiki yourself. Log in and you gain some karma while doing that. But that it is not necessary at all, I can edit wiki and dont need editing help or nothing like that but I am out of ideas and perspective... that is what I need now.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I had hoped to look at this over the weekend but a migraine interfered. I will try to make time tonight.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Im at the meetup tonight but will give some feedback after work tomorrow..

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I'd like to ask everybody to go to:

1. http://wiki.maemo.org/New_users

2. http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_basics

and answer a couple of questions:

-Is every necessary piece of information available?
Uhm, I don't know, but...

--If not, what is missing?
... how about: translations?

KR

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
A few general thoughts.

One quick suggestion. I suspect that many of the pages were constructed and edited on a full sized PC. Remember that many people may actually be coming here on their N900 and it's a little tiny screen. The goal should be to show what is on the page as soon as possible.

For this reason, I would add an intra-page contents section to the New Users page (like the one on the Basics page) right under the New users title:

New users
- Introduction
- What is Maemo?
- What is The Nokia N900? (With FAQ!)
- How do I find even more information?

I would also add an Introduction line to the Basics contents and move the box up to just below the title.

The other major page as I see it (from a new user perspective) is the FAQ. The FAQ's contents suffers from the opposite problem of the New User page - it's too much. I would start with a box of just the top level of the hierarchy. The complete hierarchy could follow it or be segmented into each of the top level areas (e.g. Software and Usage links to a TOC at the top of the Software and Usage section with the links for 5.1 through 5.3.12 there).

The last thing I would consider is the categories at the bottom (and the wiki categories in general). "Users, basics, and beginners" are not the mos descriptive and seem to overlap a lot. I would suggest that the users category be eliminated from this page and the beginner and basics categories be combined into a basic user page with a link there to the users and power users pages (essentially merging the basics category into the beginner category).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mechanix View Post
Uhm, I don't know, but...

... how about: translations?

KR
I am affraid there is no sense with translations by now. people editing wiki for now are surely overemployed even without translation stuff. temporary solution could be for example maemo greeters localized signature for native language guidance.

but if you really think that translations would be very useful, go ahead and create a brainstorm idea. or pm me and I can do it for you if you give some ideas if you have some(implementation, ui, ....)
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
A few general thoughts.

One quick suggestion. I suspect that many of the pages were constructed and edited on a full sized PC. Remember that many people may actually be coming here on their N900 and it's a little tiny screen. The goal should be to show what is on the page as soon as possible.

For this reason, I would add an intra-page contents section to the New Users page (like the one on the Basics page) right under the New users title:

New users
- Introduction
- What is Maemo?
- What is The Nokia N900? (With FAQ!)
- How do I find even more information?

I would also add an Introduction line to the Basics contents and move the box up to just below the title.

The other major page as I see it (from a new user perspective) is the FAQ. The FAQ's contents suffers from the opposite problem of the New User page - it's too much. I would start with a box of just the top level of the hierarchy. The complete hierarchy could follow it or be segmented into each of the top level areas (e.g. Software and Usage links to a TOC at the top of the Software and Usage section with the links for 5.1 through 5.3.12 there).

The last thing I would consider is the categories at the bottom (and the wiki categories in general). "Users, basics, and beginners" are not the mos descriptive and seem to overlap a lot. I would suggest that the users category be eliminated from this page and the beginner and basics categories be combined into a basic user page with a link there to the users and power users pages (essentially merging the basics category into the beginner category).
basics will be deleted soon after i double check still that there is no articles left without category floating in black hole..

and thanks from the FAQ ideas. i've thought how to make it better and haven't had any good ideas before this.
Google Custom Search

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
The FAQ is what I'd worked on too, and I did indeed have a one pager that was just section headers and adhered to my principles (at the top of the FAQ).

Changing it back is easy, if you'd like.

S

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
I'm actually quite proud of the New Users though, it has my principles (of one page/2 at most) for small devices working well. Like the intra-page idea though. Could be done v easily. DaveP1 - want to do it?

i'll edit the Frequently asked questions now to be double entry free. after that layout changes etc can be done.
Google Custom Search