Notices

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
We were promised since the launch of the N97 to get a MySpace widget or app of some sort. I'm a musician and producer, and still use MySpace as my primary online presence. We've seen plenty Facebook apps and widgets, but nothing for the original major social network. It's most shocking since Nokia claims to wish to be a media company alongside its services strategy, positions the Nseries as its media friendly consumer device brand, and yet they ignore the number two online destination for streaming video, maybe the leading provider of music artist information and music streams, a large portion of the photo storage market, and easily one of the top sites for social presence and status updates.

Can someone bring some MySpace goodness to the N900? Or maybe a console type app that supports Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook at once, like Tweetdeck does? Something to keep track of status updates, messages, comments, activities, photos and videos, browse users, and maybe music streams and uploads?

I think MySpace brings alot to the table that Facebook lacks, but gets less attention because of Facebook's deal with Apple and the iPhone. Its getting old seeing everyone pretend Facebook has the market cornered, while we at MySpace get ignored. Let's give the artists some love for once.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Chris, to be honest i did not know myspace still had an audience.

I do think it will be nice to see tight plugin integration to contacts with Myspace/Facebook and others that messaging built into them as a core feature, and publish APIs for them. I am ok with widgets, but I dont want an app per se. The tight integration is game changing and we should expand upon it.

I couldn’t agree more. A myspace widget is really needed.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Chris, are you looking for twitter integration into the contact conversation threading like SMS etceteras?

I'm not a MySpace user so forgive the daft question but does that also have postings to your page that you would want to keep track of in a similar manner?

If these two are as you meant then I would suspect the Telepathy library would be the best place to get such an extension and then it should just integrate in the same manner. Maybe post a brainstorm for the functionality and I'm sure it should be fairly simple to integrate. I'm also assuming you'd be happy to help test the MySpace integration? From a developer perspective though I would suggest a seperate post for each source though to enable at least one to be picked up.

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
Chris, to be honest i did not know myspace still had an audience.

I do think it will be nice to see tight plugin integration to contacts with Myspace/Facebook and others that messaging built into them as a core feature, and publish APIs for them. I am ok with widgets, but I dont want an app per se. The tight integration is game changing and we should expand upon it.
I don’t know if they have an audience. They for sure have some use, that’s something that I can’t say from twitter. In terms of musical diffusion myspace his a medium of great significance and not an idiotic dysfunctional hype like facebook and twitter.

The Following User Says Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Myspace is pretty much a dead service at this point.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Myspace is pretty much a dead service at this point.
That's what I thought, but if there is an audience for it, why not ? The more options there are for Maemo 5 the better.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
If people are looking at creating widgets for the lesser known social networking, can I put in a good word for Tumblr?

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
That's what I thought, but if there is an audience for it, why not ? The more options there are for Maemo 5 the better.
I'm not saying "don't make one for Myspace". I'm saying the fact that Myspace isn't really used anymore is the reason why there aren't already some made for Myspace.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
MySpace might not be the popular kid at the moment, but its user base, and its attention to indie musicians and producers still remains standard fare for use in the field.

A MySpace widget would need to do some, but not all of the following:
- view/search+add friends
- view/post latest status updates
- search friends
- post images/music
- stream music from friend's pages
- integrate with Contacts app on device

Such a widget would benefit MySpace users (and pretty much any other social network user that'd use this functionality)

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post: