Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
I currently Don't own the N900, but I had the N810 and using the default chat, IM app doesn't work if you are behind a nework proxy. I was in the maemo irc to confirm if this bug has been fixed, unfortunately it hasn't. Hence as it stands its impossible to use gtalk or any jabber based protocol with the awesome default IM app for the N900. How many protocols are affected by this bug I have no idea (Perhaps someone with a device can confirm this) I am also not aware if this affects skype on the phone (skype works very well on the N810 even behind network proxies).

If like me you are behind a firewall proxy, or you connect to the web via an http_proxy. and you plan on getting this device. All hope is not lost you can

- Use pidgin which has excellent proxy support ( But lacks the integration of the Inbuilt IM Chat)

- Use your mobile data connection for IMing

-Vote for this bug to be fixed https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=718

One of the killer feature of the N900 is the way it integrate all contacts (gmail, skype etc) Into one contact list. I don't know if this bug affects its ability to do this.

NB This bug is more of a telepathy (Telepathy is the backend framework used by the IM Chat app of the N900) than a maemo bug. The bug exist even on the latest Ubuntu karmic

My Blog

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigbrovar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Voted.
No longer effects me but a must-have feature IMHO.

Voted. Won't effect me but it really should be hi-lighted.

does this affect mail for exchange?

Originally Posted by thommy View Post
does this affect mail for exchange?
I doubt it, the only thing affected by the is telepathy which is the backend for the IM application, hence things like gtalk, jabber, msn will not work. every other thing should work fine and use the system-wide proxy settings for the N900. On the N810 the mailing application works very fine even while you are behind a a network proxy. Hence I think mail for exchange should be fine. But someone with an N900 will be in a better position to confirm.

My Blog

Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
I doubt it, the only thing affected by the is telepathy
There's a whole bunch of bugs about various apps ignoring the proxy settings, see (meta)bug 3783 which tracks them.

which is the backend for the IM application, hence things like gtalk, jabber, msn will not work.
As far as I can tell this particular one is in telepathy-gabble or loudmouth, ie it only affects XMPP (aka "jabber"). If other protocols (note: some branded ones like gtalk and ovi are XMPP under the hood) also don't use the configured proxy those would be different bugs.

On the N810 the mailing application works very fine even while you are behind a a network proxy.
Modest doesn't use proxy for mail access (maybe it does for fetching remote content for HTML emails, I don't know) and I don't think I've seen any mail client that does. Most likely your connection is just not blocking outgoing POP/IMAP/SMTP.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
Would this also affect you if you are using a stunnel or similar? Just curious!!!

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
I currently Don't own the N900, but I had the N810 and using the default chat, IM app doesn't work if you are behind a nework proxy. I was in the maemo irc to confirm if this bug has been fixed, unfortunately it hasn't. Hence as it stands its impossible to use gtalk or any jabber based protocol with the awesome default IM app for the N900. How many protocols are affected by this bug I have no idea (Perhaps someone with a device can confirm this) I am also not aware if this affects skype on the phone (skype works very well on the N810 even behind network proxies).

If like me you are behind a firewall proxy, or you connect to the web via an http_proxy. and you plan on getting this device. All hope is not lost you can

- Use pidgin which has excellent proxy support ( But lacks the integration of the Inbuilt IM Chat)

- Use your mobile data connection for IMing

-Vote for this bug to be fixed https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=718

One of the killer feature of the N900 is the way it integrate all contacts (gmail, skype etc) Into one contact list. I don't know if this bug affects its ability to do this.

NB This bug is more of a telepathy (Telepathy is the backend framework used by the IM Chat app of the N900) than a maemo bug. The bug exist even on the latest Ubuntu karmic
@OP - I'm using the libpurple patch for RTCOMM on my N810 runnign Diablo with the inbuilt client. Not had any issues with proxy access at all and I use Yahoo, ICQ, GTalk, MSN (yep it works), VOIP amongst others all without any issue at all. Have you updated or tried the patch?

Last edited by Fargus; 2009-11-21 at 17:19. Reason: missed the last word - doh!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
I don't see how this is a bug. If your proxy only offers web proxying over TCP 80 and 443, then it's not a bug, it's just a limitation on your network. Sounds to me then that any device that runs apps that aren't "proxy aware" would have problems. You need to find a way to tunnel all other protocols over whatever is allowed out of your network via the proxy server or firewall.

I myself just ssh to my home systems over port 80, and then tunnel all other traffic through that ssh connection, to a VM I have setup at home as a gateway. Probably will do the same with the N900 once I get my hands on it.

Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
I don't see how this is a bug. If your proxy only offers web proxying over TCP 80 and 443, then it's not a bug, it's just a limitation on your network. Sounds to me then that any device that runs apps that aren't "proxy aware" would have problems. You need to find a way to tunnel all other protocols over whatever is allowed out of your network via the proxy server or firewall.

I myself just ssh to my home systems over port 80, and then tunnel all other traffic through that ssh connection, to a VM I have setup at home as a gateway. Probably will do the same with the N900 once I get my hands on it.
I thing you are referring to transparent proxy? No we don't have that enabled in our network ( and am not the network admin). did you follow the bug report I posted? AFAIK its a bug because trying to use jabber protocol with the default IM ignores the settingwide proxy settings and tries to connect to the internet directly.

My Blog