I am currently looking for the cheapest wifi internet tablet. The absolute requirement are:

-A Good/decent browser
-Hardware Keyboard

One thing that would be good is to have a FM receiver. But not really a must.

The main purpose of this is use my Ajaxamp (Full Winamp web interface) to control my Winamp from other places in the house. I am not really looking to do much else with this device.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
I'm not really sure what all the options are that might fit your needs, but the first thing that comes to mind is a Nokia N810. They are inexpensive now that the N900 is out.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
If you want something newer than an N810 ...

then the three things that come to my mind are:

1) Sharp Netwalker ($600ish) ... runs Ubuntu
2) UMID mbook M1 ($450ish) ... runs Windows
3) Samsung Mondi (?) ... runs Windows Mobile

Though, you can probably get a T-Mobile G1 for cheaper than any of those. Depends on whether or not its browser will do the job for you (and how you want to deal with the SIM card ... I'm not sure if you can really go wifi-only with it).

Keyboardless gives you a lot more options ... like the Q5 and Q7. The Q7 can be had for under $200, and runs Ubuntu.

I definitely want to go Wifi only. I will probably be leaving this device at home in my bedroom all the time. Basically, its only job is to control Winamp from my bedroom. I am not buying this for my main portable device, I plan to keep on using my N800 for that.

Right now, I have N800 which works OK for Ajaxamp web control, however having keyboard would make controlling the Ajaxamp web interface much better. Only problem with N800/No hardware keyboard device is keyboard doesn't stay open on webbrowser plus it takes away screen space.

The Smart Q7 would have been great if it it had higher resolution than 800x480. Wonder if I can just get netbook for this? There should be some around $200 I believe.

Originally Posted by thureen View Post
I definitely want to go Wifi only. I will probably be leaving this device at home in my bedroom all the time. Basically, its only job is to control Winamp from my bedroom. I am not buying this for my main portable device, I plan to keep on using my N800 for that.

Right now, I have N800 which works OK for Ajaxamp web control, however having keyboard would make controlling the Ajaxamp web interface much better. Only problem with N800/No hardware keyboard device is keyboard doesn't stay open on webbrowser plus it takes away screen space.

The Smart Q7 would have been great if it it had higher resolution than 800x480. Wonder if I can just get netbook for this? There should be some around $200 I believe.
should be easy to get a used older netbook for under 200 http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-Eee-PC-4G-M...item45ef3f527e

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
You should be able to get a Dell Vostro A90 (business version of the no-longer-available Dell mini 9) for about $250ish.

You can get netbooks for less than $200.

But if you want something small and cheaper get an N800 or a used G1.