Active Topics

I apologise if this thread is incorrect but it's my first;

I am in the UK and now have had my Nokia N900 for 2 days (pre-ordered from Nokia) and so far I think it's fab, especially after I suffered 5 months with a N97 !

Anyway can anyone help re the settings for Nokia Messaging? According to the manual (downloaded at http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/g...N900_UG_en.pdf) on page 59 out of 111 I am supposed to find E Mail > Edit Account > Nokia Messaging and within this I am supposed to be able to elect the times when Nokia messaging syncs with my Tiscali pop3 account.

I must be stupid/blind/incompetant or all three as I can not find this setting so i am stuck with Nokia Messaging wanting to sync all the time (Obviously without manually turning it off !) which throught he night can be a right royal pain in the **tt ! I realise that this is maemo and not symbian as per Nokia's other phones but what is the solution?

Anyone help re this?

Apparently the pre-installed email client is not the Nokia Messaging Client- so how do i get Nokia messaging installed on my UK N900?

I don't understand the problem.

You would need to go to http://email.nokia.com and setup the email accounts.
Then you just need to login to Nokia Messaging on the device and you're good to go.

I did not have to configure anything, just have to enter my email + password for different email accounts I want to use at http://email.nokia.com then it would automatically appear with emails when I sign-in to Nokia Messaging on the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:
I believe he is talking about the settings to have it check folders and such for new mail. For some reason when you login at email.nokia.com and configure it there it doesn't update to the device.

Originally Posted by toratoko View Post
I believe he is talking about the settings to have it check folders and such for new mail. For some reason when you login at email.nokia.com and configure it there it doesn't update to the device.
I'm using Nokia Messaging on my N900

To check for new emails I go to Menu -> Email
When a list appear with 'Nokia Messaging' I tap the top bit that says E-mail to brings up a Menu screen where there is a Send/Receive option to check for new emails.

I can edit serveral settings there too including the mailboxes settings, which I think the OP wanted.

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me.
What I was trying to say is that intially i used the pre-installed email client (on menu screen shown as @ symbol) this went okay and I was able to set up my tiscali pop3 & hotmail accounts - both worked fine.

However within this there was no place to elect at what times the email client sync'd with my email accounts - thus it would do this through the night unless I went into the settings manually at night and unselcted the check box to 'automatically sync via any connection'. I was used to using Nokia messaging and thus its sync time settings as having previously used it on my E71 & N97.

So I have been to https://netac28.vie.hosting.nokia.com to set up a Noki messaging client for my N900 and I followed the following steps:
a) put in my number in international format - 447956*******
b) selected the phone - N900
c) entered my email - ***********@tiscali.co.uk
d) email password (have checked this on my PC with password saved in PC email client)
e) user name (checked on PC as above)
f) entered their security characters

however no matter how many times i re-enter this data and check that it is all typed correctly etc the following error appears:

'Unable to connect with the information provided. Please try again.'

So I can't find what I am doing wrong so I am unable to install Nokia messaging on my N900.

Any ideas?

Venomush

have just read your post and followed it ( I too am in the UK and have an N900 which I pre-ordered from Nokia directly).

When I follow Menu -> Email - this immediately opens the inbuilt N900 Email client - I do not get Nokia Messaging listed as an option.

All i get is the wizard asking me to start entering my email details to start a new account

Originally Posted by mark01 View Post
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me.
What I was trying to say is that intially i used the pre-installed email client (on menu screen shown as @ symbol) this went okay and I was able to set up my tiscali pop3 & hotmail accounts - both worked fine.

However within this there was no place to elect at what times the email client sync'd with my email accounts - thus it would do this through the night unless I went into the settings manually at night and unselcted the check box to 'automatically sync via any connection'. I was used to using Nokia messaging and thus its sync time settings as having previously used it on my E71 & N97.

So I have been to https://netac28.vie.hosting.nokia.com to set up a Noki messaging client for my N900 and I followed the following steps:
a) put in my number in international format - 447956*******
b) selected the phone - N900
c) entered my email - ***********@tiscali.co.uk
d) email password (have checked this on my PC with password saved in PC email client)
e) user name (checked on PC as above)
f) entered their security characters

however no matter how many times i re-enter this data and check that it is all typed correctly etc the following error appears:

So I can't find what I am doing wrong so I am unable to install Nokia messaging on my N900.

Any ideas?

Set it up at http://email.nokia.com with user friendly interface.
Don't attempt to set it on the device, it's complicated and sometime doesn't work.
The website will attempt to get the settings automatically or you can manually enter it. If it works, you will see a Success message straight away.
Then just go go Nokia Messaging on the device and your Tiscali mailbox will be there all setup ready to go.

Venomush

This is exactly what I have already done' I navigated on my PC to http://email.nokia.com/account/home.action and followed the instructions to 'Sign Up' which eventually provided me with the error message:

As a result I can't sign up for Nokia Messaging becasue I can't establish a new account.

I amused to using Nokia messaging as I said re my other phones, but unfortunately (and it would seem now unwisely) deleted my Nokia messaging account before I received my new N900.

Originally Posted by mark01 View Post
Venomush

This is exactly what I have already done' I navigated on my PC to http://email.nokia.com/account/home.action and followed the instructions to 'Sign Up' which eventually provided me with the error message:

As a result I can't sign up for Nokia Messaging becasue I can't establish a new account.

I amused to using Nokia messaging as I said re my other phones, but unfortunately (and it would seem now unwisely) deleted my Nokia messaging account before I received my new N900.
Have you try entering in the settings manually? It does give the option for manual input if it failed to connect by getting the settings automatically (it can't find the right settings)
Just put in what Tiscali gives you.

I had to do this for some of my email accounts.